PDA

View Full Version : from diesel to gas

pirate
11-18-2008, 21:35
i know this is backwards but im having lots of trouble with my diesel right now and i need it to run winter is here and british cars and motorcycles dont run very good in the snow! so im looking to go to gas what would be a good choice for a 2500 4x4 xcab long box auto? as far as iknow its a4l80e auto what will bolt to it? if i go efi do i need to get a hole new computer can i go old school with a carb? what else needs to be changed? gas eng are comon but diesel ones arnt. been looking for a donar diesel but they just are not available so it looks like gas for now! i would like gas milage over power for now but ill also will take what i can find. does the exhause need to be changed or can i keep the turbo set up on the gas? if not will the manifolds bolt up? is it better to buy a hole new truck instead of this swap? or buy aparts truck instead ? lots of gas parts in the junk yard
thanks

Yukon6.2
11-22-2008, 10:15
Hi
What kind of troubles are you having with the diesel?To switch to gas will be a lot of work,especially if you want to switch back.All GM gas engines will bolt to the trany that is all built for RWD pickups.If you wanted to go EFI you would need a computer and wiring harness for the equivilent truck,not to mention exhaust system and fuel tank.
You could go with a carberated engin,but then you would have to figer a way to get your trany to work.Plus exhaust.
I would think that fixing your diesel engin would be the way to go,especially with all the help on this website.
I think you should be able to find a diesel,a 6.2 is basically the same.
Go to your nearest US army base and ask around the motorpool ,you might find someone that will trade an old or good 6.2 that has been left behind.
Good Luck
Thomas

More Power
12-03-2008, 14:32
Back about 1995, the 6.2L diesel in my GMC developed a problem. Most of my friends and acquaintances at the time urged me to install a reman 350 gas engine. They argued that a nice 350 reman longblock could be bought for about $1500, where the diesel rebuild was about $3k.

I considered the swap to gas for about the time it took to add up the cost of the longblock and all of the ancillary components I'd need to make it all work - things like manifolds, accessory brackets and related belt-driven components, fan, water pump, fuel injection/carburetor, flexplate, air cleaner and many other small items. To this I added in the projected increase in fuel costs (about 2x), and then considered why I liked the diesel in the first place. The choice to remain with the 6.2 was an easy decision. ;)

Jim