PDA

View Full Version : Starter

westport70
11-21-2008, 07:50
i seem to be replacing starters on my 6.5 every 30k miles I am getting them from AUTO ZONE they give me the new ones because of the warranty .It is just troublesome to change. Batteries are good wiring good.They start dragging as if bearings are bad.My question is are others having this problem.Are they just poor quality rebuilds or is there something else in play here. Original lasted about 140k. yes the support bracket on starter is in place. i knew you would ask.

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2008, 08:30
Simply, they are poor rebuilds. You get what you pay for. Good warranty, though.

If you want to replace them a lot less, or perhaps only once more, get a Delco reman. No lifetime warranty. GM used to offer a lifetime nationwide warranty on OEM Goodwrench service replacements if the dealer installs it (also applied to alternators, PS pumps, etc.). Don't know if they still do that.

Robyn
11-21-2008, 08:45
YUp
Most of the rebuilt stuff from the "Zone" and other sources are done out of country and are just crap.

I use a local Auto Electric company and have very good luck.
Been to the ZOne a few times when I needed one on a weekend. :(

There is more to rebuilding a starter or an alternator than cleaning it and installing a couple parts.

Many times the parts are not even the right ones ???????? :eek:

The locals disassemble, clean and inspect. The armature is run on a growler to be sure it has no issues. (These are repainted with glyptol)

The field coils are inspected and tested for opens or shorts and then cleaned and repainted with glyptol (insulating paint)

The commutator is turned or at least pollished. The bearings/bushings are replaced as are the brushes. The drive is replaced with a HD unit as is the solenoid.

Once finished they are run tested to be sure they work right.

Even as much as I like GM stuff, the rebuilt units they offer are not as good as the original you got with the rig.

A local shop that intends to stay in business is usually a better choice.

Best

Robyn

Zac6.5
11-21-2008, 10:39
I'm not a vendor but I got a starter from this guy on ebay and it has been a beast. I have only had it in about 40k but no problems and can't beat the price. Hope this helps.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&satitle=6.5+starter&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=6.5+starter&sadis=200&fpos=38501&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=dbelectrical&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

trbankii
11-21-2008, 10:43
I learned my lesson decades ago when I first got my Toyota. Went through three brake master cylinders with "free replacement" warranties in less than 15K miles before I got wise and just got an OEM. It's still on there...

As for alternators and starters, I go to a local shop and have them rebuilt. Used to go to high school with the guy. He goes through it and only uses top quality parts and takes his time. Definitely worth the little bit of extra money.

KallyI
11-21-2008, 20:06
I got my original starter rebuilt twice, locally, by a reputable auto electric shop, and it failed within a year, both times. I bought a starter from that same ebay seller in 2003, and have not had a problem since. In my opinion, they are a good product. I've also had alternator trouble, and bought an alternator from him as well, and have had very good luck with it too. In my opinion, I'd go for the ebay option.

Yukon6.2
11-22-2008, 09:57
Hi
I'v read lots of good praise for the ebay seller.I bought a new starter 3 yrs ago,it still is like new,could be because it's still sitting on my shelf.I ordered one when mine was acting up,befor i got it mine quit,so i got a set of brushes and bearings took mine apart cleaned it good and checked as much as i could,visual and with a volt meter.Put it back together with some superlube that dosen't get thick when it gets cold(-40).Has worked fine starts my truck at -25c whithout a plugin,i try not to start it whithout pluging in but sometimes you have to.I also have some spiral wound batterys that are 8 yrs old,they have napa stickers on them,but look just like optima's.
Arvtec?? also had lots of praise for the ebay seller that's what got me to try him.Also price at the time a rebuilt one was around$450.00 up here and they wanted the core back.At the time i got the new one shiped here for half the price,and no core.Now i have a new one ready to go should the brushes wearout again.
Good luck Thomas

ToddMeister
11-24-2008, 07:06
I also purchased a 6.5 starter from that ebay seller. No problems with the unit, it's been on the truck for 2 or 3 years now.