PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Dawg
11-21-2008, 15:06
Any recommendations for replacement batteries. My OE Delco's have been in service since I picked the truck up in Nov. 2001. Seems as though truck doesn't turn over like she used to. I want to replace them before they give me a problem.

The label on the OE's show they are rated at 770 CCA.

The November Consumer Reports shows the top rated Group 65 Sears Diehard Platinum at $180. It is AGM or Absorbed Glass-Mat style with a rated 930 CCA. Seems pricey but I know how that stacks up with an Optima. The next 5 down the list are the Duralast, NAPA, Kirkland and Everstart that run from $80-$100 with 750-875 CCA.

Heck, the OE's have worked so well I might have replace them with another set of Delco's.

Anyone with some recent battery experience?

When I do go to change them out, is there a proper procedure? I was going to disconnect both neg terminals, and then disconnect the positve side one at a time.

Thanks!

BillMoncrief
11-22-2008, 20:54
Hello All;
Just replaced mine after six and a half years and 113000. Looked around then decided on delcos since I have an ac distributor in town. I went with the 7 year batteries I beleave they are 8oo cca maybe 850, anyway they were $98.55 apiece. I changed out one at a time disconnecting negative first didn't lose clock or radio presets that way.
Bill

Dawg
11-23-2008, 09:13
Thank you for the info and the change out procedure.

NutNbutGMC
11-23-2008, 10:14
Any recommendations for replacement batteries. My OE Delco's have been in service since I picked the truck up in Nov. 2001. Seems as though truck doesn't turn over like she used to. I want to replace them before they give me a problem.

The label on the OE's show they are rated at 770 CCA.

The November Consumer Reports shows the top rated Group 65 Sears Diehard Platinum at $180. It is AGM or Absorbed Glass-Mat style with a rated 930 CCA. Seems pricey but I know how that stacks up with an Optima. The next 5 down the list are the Duralast, NAPA, Kirkland and Everstart that run from $80-$100 with 750-875 CCA.

Heck, the OE's have worked so well I might have replace them with another set of Delco's.

Anyone with some recent battery experience?

When I do go to change them out, is there a proper procedure? I was going to disconnect both neg terminals, and then disconnect the positve side one at a time.

Thanks!I like the Optima battery(s) and to maintian it properly, the Battery Tender (http://www.batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2). That is longevity as good as it gets. $0.02

Dakster
11-23-2008, 10:30
Wow. 7 Years on OEM Batteries.... I might be inclined to go back to them as well. If not, I like Optima batteries as well.

Dawg
11-23-2008, 17:42
I certainly can't complain about the OE Delco's. We use the Battery Tender on my buddy's boat batteries. I can't even begin to tell you how old they are but they still work like a champ.

I guess I'll price out Optima and Delco and see what I come up with.

Thanks again

crafty
12-02-2008, 06:37
I replaced the original delcos in my truck in Sept. with the reccomended Delco ones ( 800 CCA ) and I paid $150 a piece up here in Canada.
The original batteries lasted for 7 years and 9 months. I have always got at least 7 years out of the Delco batteries.
I would buy them every time.:D:D:D

Mark Rinker
12-02-2008, 20:16
The last two or three sets we've installed in the fleet were AC Delcos. Excellent service history.

Sadly, I let a pair of year-old Optima Red-Tops go with the 2001 when sold...never even thought of swapping them into the 2002 for the used OEMs - of course it then needed a new set, only about 6 months later...DOGH!!!