PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem...again

DennisG01
05-04-2004, 14:52
I brought up this problem about a month ago and got some very good ideas/feedback from a number of people. But, I am still trying to figure out this intermittent problem.

Here's the (2) codes that go along with the starting problem described below (I didn't have the codes a month ago):

PO753 SHIFT SOLENOID A CKT ELECTRICAL
PO758 SHIFT SOLENOID B CKT ELECTRICAL

With the initial turn of the key to the "start" position, the engine sounded like it was about to start for about 1 1/2 seconds but then only cranked. After a few seconds of cranking, I returned the key to the "run" position and waited about 10 seconds and then "start" again. Whenver I would only return the key back to "run" and then "start", it would only crank (no almost-start sound). The only times that the engine "almost started" was when I would turn the key to the "off" position and then back to "start".

I did check all of the elctrical connections on the left and right side of the transmission case, all seem good and tight.

THANKS!

JohnC
05-04-2004, 16:00
The transmission codes are frequently caused by a faulty ignition switch which could also be causing your no-start problem. Trans problems can be diagnosed by monitoring the voltage on the trans circuit during the start process.
Try monitoring power on the pcm circuits to start after the no start.

Also, check the ground connection between the frame and the cab.

[ 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

DennisG01
05-05-2004, 14:15
JohnC-

I'm not a mechanic, but I am pretty handy. When you said - "Try monitoring power on the pcm circuits to start after the no start." - is that relatively easy with a standard voltmeter? I hate to bug you on this, but if you don't think it's too difficult, how do I do it? Thanks!

JohnC
05-06-2004, 08:53
Yes, to start, rig your volt meter up to the trans fuse on the side of the dash and watch the voltage as you turn the key on. Anything less than about 9 volts will set a code and force the trans into "limpp" mode. also monitor the voltage difference between the cab ground and the battery negative terminal. Should be only a few millivolts. the fact that you get starting problems as well as trans problems makes me think you may have a ground problem as it's common to both.

JC (born and raised in Bethlehem...)

DennisG01
05-10-2004, 06:06
Thanks again, JohnC. I'll keep the voltmeter with me in the truck. The weird part is how the truck "resets" itself and after about 5 - 10 minutes will start up just fine without me doing anything else to it.

Born and raised in Bethlehem? Me too! Where abouts did you grow up and when did you move? I grew up on the west side - near Clearview elementary school.

JohnC
05-10-2004, 10:40
Originally posted by Dennis Galligani:
Where abouts did you grow up and when did you move? I grew up on the west side - near Clearview elementary school. Near Spring Garden on Linden Street. It was farm country back then...

Moved out a looooong time ago...

My Mom still lives in the same house.