PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

w6bauer
11-24-2008, 06:58
After removing the engine cover I noticed a pretty good amount of oil has been leaking from one of the bolts on the upper intake. Any ideas what this could be? I am thinking it may be coming from the turbo, I also noticed a film of oil on the underside of that. Thanks

Will

rustyk
11-24-2008, 18:16
It could be your CDR valve is the culprit.

w6bauer
11-24-2008, 22:30
I am going through quite a bit of oil between changes, would a CDR in need of replacing be causing all of this oil loss?

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2008, 00:22
I am going through quite a bit of oil between changes, would a CDR in need of replacing be causing all of this oil loss?

The CDR's purpose is to reduce excessive crankcase vacuum at higher RPM's. If it is allowing an abnormal amount of oil to pass into the intake, you have an excessive supply of oil vapor to begin with. High oil consumption can be from a number of sources, but the CDR is not the cause, but can facilitate the escape. Higher than normal crankcase pressure can cause oil consumption, caused normally by excessive blowby, among other reasons. A compression test and cylinder leakdown test will help to identify the source (isolates cylinder leaks to piston, valves, or head gasket).

The CDR gets blamed for a lot of engine issues, but is rarely ever a cause.

DaveBr
11-25-2008, 18:10
Seems to me I recall reading a thread in this forum about high oil consumption . Turned out to be a seal in his turbo was gone. Just throwing it out there as something to look for. What kind of oil are you using? When I switch to 5W-40 Synth. for winter I notice an increase in consumption.