PDA

View Full Version : ABS light

vetteboy
11-25-2008, 16:59
My ABS light comes on at 5mph and if I stop and restart the engine while it's warm the light will not come again until it sits long enough to cool down. Will not come on going backwards and the speedo and trans work perfect.I pulled the front wheels and cleaned everything. Replace the pads and packed the bearings. Brakes work fine no issues. Rear shoes like new. It's a 96 2 wheel drive 1500. What is the deal?
THanks

rhsub
11-26-2008, 03:36
What code is in the ebcm????????????
we are not magicians
Ron

vetteboy
11-26-2008, 10:38
Don't I need a special reader for that?

dondandd
11-26-2008, 10:53
I thought you needed a fancy scan tool to read anything other than engine codes. Definitely would be easier if you could pull the code. Being that it seems temp related, I would think something to do with either a relay, the motor or a solenoid in the ABS block. I don't know what style relays are used for the ABS system, but if they are identical to say your starter or horn relay, try swapping them. If you swap with the starter relay, and your truck won't start cold... that's a good indication of a relay problem! Otherwise, I'm not sure how to determine if the pump and solenoids are functioning without a scan tool. I know on my truck, I can't even hear them cycle. The only reason I'm not thinking wheel sensor is because it's temp related, and in the opposite way of normal failure for a hall sensor. Usually those types fail with heat and not cold.

Try the relay if you can... it's free. Otherwise, might have to bite the bullet and get a shop to pull the codes.

Don.