PDA

View Full Version : Store my Dmax long term...help/questions

dvmpete
11-26-2008, 12:31
'04 LB7 with 65K miles. I will going to New Zealand for 6-12 months and will be storing my Truck out of the weather in Northern California (temp ranges from 45-100 during the time I am gone).

What would you consider essential to do for storing the truck. The OEM AC Delco batteries are coincidentally at the end of their life. Do i just pull them and get new ones when I get back? Or put new ones in and have a friend start and drive the truck every month while I am gone?

Other advice?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2008, 13:41
Welcome aboard!

Having someone start and drive it periodically is ideal. The engine and tranny should be ran up to operating temp, driven, then parked again. This helps distribute fresh lubrication, conditions seals, and rolls the tires (also very important). If you intend to replace the batteries either before, or immediately after your trip, it depends on their current condition. If it will be sitting for a month at a time, I suggest installing a power cut-off at all battery grounds. If left with the batteries connected, they will likely be dead in a month's time, even with new batteries.

Also, if there's any chance at all of rodent access, leave the hood open, or propped up at least 12". This will help prevent them from setting up household in the engine compartment.

If you leave the vehicle stored for the entire time without being driven, change the engine oil (synthetic recommended, at least for this time period), fill the fuel tank with fresh fuel, Sta-Bil, and a good water handling additive. Remove the batteries completely and put the rear axle and front control arms up on blocks (tires off the ground). Put moth balls, De-Con and desiccant (Silica-Gel, or flower drying granules) in the cab (stinky dead mice/rats/bugs are way better than healthy chewing ones). Make sure there are no french-fries (or other foods/sweets) in the seat cushions, or anywhere else. Remove any chemical/containers from inside the cab (they can vapor off, and destroy the interior). There are many other things you can/should do, but much depends on the condition/type of the storage.

dvmpete
11-26-2008, 13:59
thank you for the advice. I'm not sure what a 'power cut off' is, but i'll find out. Do I install these on the negative terminal of each battery, or can I install only one at the negative ground between the batteries....the one used when jumping another vehicle? Also, are the water handling additives used for gasoline the same for diesel, or do I need a diesel specific additive.

Clearly I'm a newbie....thanks

More Power
11-26-2008, 15:02
If it were mine, I'd fill the fuel tank, change the engine oil and remove the batteries. That's it....

If you're not replacing the batteries when you return, have then trickle charged every month or so. Otherwise, recycle them now, and buy new ones when you return. :)

Jim

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2008, 16:09
Most additives are fuel specific. Use Stanadyne, Howe's, or Power Service for water and bio control (they go hand in hand). The Sta-Bil, according to the label, is good for gas or Diesel. Be sure to run the engine for a while after adding to distribute it throughout. Belt and suspenders, here, IMO.

6 months is about my cut-off period for letting fuel sit, if it's used in late model Diesels. The fuel systems are just too sensitive. In older Diesels (6.2, old tractors, etc.), I've used 10-20 year old fuel (carelessly stored) with no problems. Your dealer won't likely cover a $10K fuel system (tank, lines pump, injectors) replacement due to bad fuel. Treatment is insurance. Cheap insurance.

A "power cut-off" is a heavy duty switch, normally an enclosed rotary type with a key, or a full throw bar switch (like in old sci-fi movies). They need to be installed between the batt- and the ground location, of each battery, so both batt- terminals can be disconnected completely. The batteries are wired parallel, they do not have a common ground cable (each batt- to chassis), but do have a common + cable (batt+ to batt+ to starter). If it has acc. ground wires (smaller wire coming out of the terminal connector), it will have to be switched as well. You could disconnect/connect the battery terminals each time, but the terminals can fail after a couple times (stripped threads and/or leakage). This is just my recommendation, based on experience.

Robyn
11-27-2008, 09:00
Sounds about right to me. I would do as Jim says, change the oil, fill the fuel tank (But leave enough so it cant spill over when hot) and possibly dump in a can of fuel conditioner too.

Disconnect the batteries and put them on a trickle charger to keep them in top shape

If you are worried about the tires just block the rig to take the load off the rubber.

Was reading a little funny a while back. ( In reference to the rodent issue)

Airline pilot wites in his report for the mechanics to check, MOUSE IN COCKPIT
Reply back on the check sheet CAT INSTALLED :D

Those little creatures will set up house keeping in no time if they can get into an area.

I let the Burb sit a while back for a week and opened the hood and there was the beginings of a nest on the fender well. "Installed Cat" :rolleyes:

Best to you on your trip.

Robyn

Mark Rinker
11-27-2008, 18:11
One advantage of long term storage with the batteries removed...much harder to be stolen.

TheJDMan
01-31-2009, 19:22
One advantage of long term storage with the batteries removed...much harder to be stolen.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.