PDA

View Full Version : Electrical- Fuel Gauge and right brake light

mrhockey
11-27-2008, 09:55
Of course this stuff acts up when I am out of town without a good internet connection, but I just started my truck this morning and the fuel gauge at the full level, which it is at the moment, swings way down to the right at the 3 o'clock position instead of starting at the F. When I shut the truck off it swings to about then normal 3/8 of a tank level. It is almost like the gauge is reading 3/8 too much. I had the panel flashed with the upgrade a couple of years ago when all the gauges stopped working. Any ideas?

The second item is my passenger's side rear brake light. A buddy told me a couple of weeks ago when following my trailer that that brake light is out. I never looked into it because that was my last day of racing for the year. My trailer is currently parked 700 miles away. Anyway my wife told me yesterday that the right brake light isn't working in the truck. The driving light fillament works in that bulb and when I moved that bulb to the driver's side it worked fine with the brakes on. Is there some type of left/right specific wiring for the brakes. I see a fuse listed in the book and panel in the dash but it is still good.:confused:

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2008, 10:07
What year/make truck (Chevy/GMC had different tail lamp config's, depending on years)?

Check your fuses in the underhood fuse box. Also, check the lamp socket for darkening or brittle/burned plastic. They can become deformed and lose contact. If you also had a non-op trailer lamp, it's likely the circuit, and not the lamp or fixture. The late models have separate circuits for trailer lamps (OEM only--if the harness has been hacked for trailer lamps, all bets are off). May help with the brake lamp issue, but the IPC will take some troubleshooting. You need to hook up a Tech II or Predator programmer to read what the PCM is indicating. If the circuit, or the sender is having issues, the PCM fuel level will be the same as the gage. If it's the IPC, the PCM fuel level will report correct, not consistent with the gage. Good luck with that one.

mrhockey
11-27-2008, 15:25
Thanks for the help. The truck is an '03 2500HD by the way.

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2008, 18:53
Chevy or GMC?

Check your hazard warning switch. If it doesn't operate smoothly, hangs, or there is an activation delay on or off, it could be suspect. There were a few issues with them, but I haven't heard of one in a while. Both brake lamps operate through it, on separate circuits.

mrhockey
11-28-2008, 10:26
It is a Chevy. I saw that there were different fuses for each brake lamp but both are good.