PDA

View Full Version : Trouble on the Road

richp
11-28-2008, 17:59
Hi Gang,

Sitting here in Omaha with a developing problem. Here's the sequence...

2001 K-2500 D/A with Juice and 165K miles (75K on the current set of injectors). Auxiliary fuel filtration and otherwise stock. Not raining, clear dry roads, recent fuel filter changes.

About 1,000 miles ago, a small puff of white smoke sitting at a stop light. No power problems, no extra noise.

About 75 miles ago (150 miles into a tank of fuel from a high volume interstate truck stop), there was a somewhat larger puff of white smoke while moving back into traffic from a rest area on the interstate.

About 15 miles later, while doing 70 with cruise on, the pilot injection kicked off, there was a loud noise, the tach was fluctuating wildly, the battery light goes on, and engine stops.

Got to the side of the road, turned off the ignition, and it restarted with only a moderate amount of white smoke that stopped as soon as I got back out into traffic.

Made it all the way to Omaha with no further problems.

No "check engine" light, no miss, no rough idle at all now.

I'm guessing a briefly stuck injector scrambled the computer somehow, and I'm back to normal. My question is whether I'm risking much by trying to get home tomorrow (450 miles of interstate -- no trailer.) Particularly, should I worry about the oil level going up dangerously over that distance?

Any ideas in the next 12 hours would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

Duramaster
11-28-2008, 19:14
Unplug the JUICE and see how the engine runs. If it still runs poorly then it sounds like you might an injector leaking causing a severe fuel knock. Check your oil level too to see if you have fuel in the crankcase. Good luck.

richp
11-28-2008, 20:38
Hi Duramaster,

I'm in a motel for the night and was going to take out the Edge in the morning anyway. The oil was checked about 100 miles after the first episode I described, and it seemed OK. I'll check it again in the morning.

Do you think one injector going south would leak enough to give me oil trouble in 450 miles of interstate, if I tried to get home?

Thanks.

Rich

Mark Rinker
11-28-2008, 20:43
I am betting that its the Edge box on its way out, based on the description of your stalling episode...however, could you have a restricted air filter?

The reason I asked is the sudden diesel rattle and engine dying episode is very unusual for a stock Duramax - almost unheard of. Then, for the truck to return to normal operation for many miles points to something other than a bad injector - injector problems don't tend to 'come and go'...rather they just get worse and worse over time.

I am betting your Edge box is to blame. However, after removing it, if you have another stalling episode, check for 1) bad fuel, 2) plugged air or fuel filter, 3) an intermittant electrical problem (battery shorting internally, alternator going into overcharge condition, etc.) rearing its head - that is causing the ECM to blink out.

Duramaster
11-28-2008, 20:50
If the injector tip itself is leaking fuel into the combustion chamber it would be a probable cause of the smoke and the fuel knock that you are describing. If the injector body is broken, then that would lead to the fuel in the crankcase. Of course that is only one of a number of ways for the fuel to leak into the crankcase. Do you have any diesel fuel additive with you and a fresh fuel filter? If so, replace the fuel filter and add a bottle of STANADYNE DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVE to the filter itself. The filter will hold a whole bottle (16oz). If you don't have a fresh filter then dump the old one into a clean pan and add half the bottle to the filter and the rest to the tank. When you dump out the filter, look for water and debris. If you see lots of water and yuck inthe filter, then that is probably the root cause of the fuel knock.

richp
11-29-2008, 15:43
Hi Gang,

Made it home OK, with somewhat more white smoke at idle and slow speeds. But it's not making oil, so I take that as a (sort of) good sign.

Before I left this AM, I took the Edge out, checked the air filter, and oil level. (Filter and oil were normal.) I had just done both fuel filters before I left on this trip, and this occurred across three different tanks of fuel.

I'll get it to the dealer this week and see what is going on. Out of warranty 6 months ago, so this is probably won't be pretty....

Thanks for the good advice and moral support.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

Mark Rinker
11-30-2008, 07:37
Glad to hear you made it back safely. Everything gets easier, and less expensive, when troubleshooting and getting repairs made from the home base.

Re your negotiations - ask for, and work directly with the Service Manager, tell him your concerns up front, and point out the warranty timing of the part failure - at only 75K miles. They will likely help you out in some way, if not a full warranty coverage. If not, tell them that you'll try your luck working with the GM dealer down the road, until someone will make this right. DON'T LET THEM START TO UNBUTTON THE TRUCK IN ANY WAY UNTIL YOU HAVE A FIRM COMMITMENT OR DENIAL OF YOUR WARRANTY REQUEST.

Question - what type of auxiliary fuel filtration were you using? When this repair is complete - please stop by the 'sticky' on the topic of ADDITIONAL FUEL FILTRATION AND INJECTOR FAILURE at the top of this forum and leave your data...

richp
11-30-2008, 13:28
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice. You've described exactly the approach I intent to take. The dealer knows this truck well, has always treated me right, and I am on record as having brought it in for a sticking injector (which they couldn't duplicate) about 2 months before the 7 years was up.

I'm using the Universal kit from the Diesel Page, but have not had it in for the entire life of these injectors. Will do, on the survey...

I've also noted the posts on living with white smoke. I intend on keeping this truck another year or two, and will continue towing a 32' fifth wheeler with it for rather long distances. So I'm inclined to go ahead and have it fixed now, rather than nurse it along. Whatever it costs, it will be a lot cheaper than a new truck right now.

Have a good one.

Rich

richp
12-02-2008, 12:56
Hi,

Just got back from the dealer, and there are two injectors going south very prominently -- one in each bank. Two others are out of spec, but not so bad. More smoke today than before, so it's definitely not going to heal itself.....

The good news is, based on the history of the vehicle, the auxiliary filtration, the fact I reported a knocking injector once this past Spring that they couldn't duplicate, and the fact there are only 75k on the new injectors, the service manager says he will do it as a warranty job. After leaving the service desk, my next stop was the owner, to tell him (as I have done before) what a great job his service department is doing.

Nothing happens until the parts get in and I drop it off next week, so the final story has yet to be told. But right now it looks encouraging.

Thanks for the input.

Rich

Mark Rinker
12-02-2008, 20:21
Great news!

richp
12-15-2008, 13:46
Hi Gang,

Just got a call from the service manager, and it's ready to pick up. All injectors were done under warranty, even though I'm actually past the 7 years. I had reported sticking injector problems back last Spring, which they couldn't duplicate. But because that was on record, I was given consideration (to the tune of thousands of dollars I didn't have to spend).

I suppose one lesson here is that if you have a relationship with a good dealer/service operation, stick with them. These folks know I had bought it there, serviced the truck there pretty much throughout its life, knew I took care of all the fluid and filter changes, and used quality fuel. If this had gone really bad somewhere out West and I had had to have it done in Nowhere, Utah, who knows how bad the hit would have been.

So, in the interest of good will, (if they survive the GM dealer slaughter that's about to commence....) I can highly recommend Bob Jass Chevrolet, in Elburn, Illinois.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

Dmcfishing
12-23-2008, 16:55
Mine did the same set of events. Has happened three times. All were towing(7200 lbs.) up
steep long hill, power level 1, approx. 1100 EGT, cruise set at 66 mph. Pulled off side of
road, restarted truck, set power level back to 0, everything fine. I generally run power level
0, except about 2-3 weeks before towing, I change it to level 1. By the way tow haul was
engaged. Never had a problem except when towing. Plan to tow next time level 0 and
see what happens. Low boost fuel set on 1. Currently 73000, injectors replaced at 70000.

Mark Rinker
12-24-2008, 09:01
Hi Gang,

I suppose one lesson here is that if you have a relationship with a good dealer/service operation, stick with them.

So, in the interest of good will, (if they survive the GM dealer slaughter that's about to commence....) I can highly recommend Bob Jass Chevrolet, in Elburn, Illinois.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

I couldn't agree more. Saxon Chevrolet - Elk River, Minnesota!