PDA

View Full Version : Where can i find a 1998 6.5L wiring harness ?

ealemany
11-30-2008, 01:02
greetings

I think that i am having trouble with the wiring harness (of the engine).
I took my truck the shop four times already for electronic problems.
The "Service Engine Soon" lights comes on all the time even after
fixing the code error.
I suspect that the wiring harness must have a short somewhere. So instead of spending time and money i thought that it would be easier to change the whole
wiring harness (around the engine - the harness most exposed to heat, vibration and dirt).
Where can i find this wiring harness and how much will it cost ?

Thanks you for your help.

Eric

Burning Oil
11-30-2008, 09:18
What kind of problem/s you having?
You can look on ebay or junk yards for a harness. Not sure if GM would still have them.
GM would be hundreds of dollars.
A junk yard as low as $20
Ebay $??

derekja
11-30-2008, 10:04
I tried that approach as I was fighting my electrical problems and found a new harness for $1500 and nothing used available anywhere. I imagine it must be possible to find a used harness, but I didn't manage to anyway.

My problem was caused by a couple of things. The first problem was a poorly repaired splice in the harness ground. it took removing a bunch of the wrapper from the harness and tracing grounds to find that. The other problem was an internal crack in an aftermarket connector attaching the harness ground to the engine, easy fix once I found it but really hard to find since the problems were so intermittent. I ended up spending many hours with a multimeter with a long extension to the dash ground and the other end on the engine ground wiggling and pulling on everything in between.

Just cleaning the engine grounds has solved lots of weird electrical problems, btw. Do a search on here for all the locations to check...

Good luck!

Hubert
11-30-2008, 10:06
Yeah, you can email gmpartsdirect dot com for the part number, price, and availiability.

I think it was approx $1600 iirc a year or so ago if they still carry it. For $1600 I don't think they sold many.

EWC
11-30-2008, 21:26
I've got a 97 harness from a 3500HD 6.5 with a stick and no AC that is still on the engine if that helps you . Pulled everything from the truck including the fuse boxes and I think I cut one wire on the inside .

tommac95
12-03-2008, 13:24
try http://www.car-part.com

good for boneyards .

skittle
12-08-2008, 12:16
I have a complete engine harness and a complete under-dash harness from a 1996 2500 Chev Pickup, ext cab long box, 4L80E, floor shifter 4wd. The truck had 65k miles on it, a tree fell on it, I bought it as donor for a Suburban project. Rather than deal with harness mods, I bought factory new harnesses (very nice and expensive). The truck started and ran fine when I bought it, no check engine light. Let me know if interested. I could ship fairly quick!

ealemany
12-09-2008, 21:14
I have a complete engine harness and a complete under-dash harness from a 1996 2500 Chev Pickup, ext cab long box, 4L80E, floor shifter 4wd. The truck had 65k miles on it, a tree fell on it, I bought it as donor for a Suburban project. Rather than deal with harness mods, I bought factory new harnesses (very nice and expensive). The truck started and ran fine when I bought it, no check engine light. Let me know if interested. I could ship fairly quick!
Greetings,

Thank you for the reply to my post.
I would be interested in the engine harness that you have but my only concerned is that since i have an automatic transmission with AC etc....
will it fit my suburban purpose and not caused error code?
How much will cost for you to ship ?
Where did you get the factory new harness?

Thank you for your help.

Eric

skittle
01-05-2009, 22:58
Eric,

I looked back thru this thread, for some reason I thought you had a pickup. But, your last post mentions a Suburban. The harnesses I have are from a pickup. By the way, a 4L80E is an automatic. Anyway, I've not looked into the differences between pickup vs. sub.

I bought a new harness from GM for my project Suburban as we changed several options.

GM dealer got me a harness with the following info...
1. Suburban model year
2. 1500 or 2500
3. 2wd, floor shift 4wd, dash shift 4wd, auto 4wd
4. ac or not
5. manual of automatic transmission

For example: the engine (or underhood harness) for a 1999, 1500 Suburban, dash shifter 4wd, a/c, 4L80E Auto Trans. is GM P/N 12190692.

Good luck!! And be prepared for pay 4 digits US!!!

Paul