PDA

View Full Version : casting # question and suggestions

85-m1028
11-30-2008, 18:02
I purchased a 6.5 w/ 4l80e, 242 tcase, from a company that bought it new and used it in a prototype platform for about 5000 miles. Then pulled the drivetrain and stored it in the loft for about 10 yrs. when I came and took it off their hands.

casting #is 12555506, E057 I'm assuming this is one of those blocks that was prone to cracking. I haven't run it yet but everything looks brand new lightly used. this has a center mount turbo and electronic. It uses a computer from a H-1 and is all wired and ready to basicaly plug and play.

basicaly I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it isn't cracked yet, assuming it isn't what "if any" steps would one take to keep this thing from going to the scrap heap.

Not trying be a pollyanna but I can say the people I got it from run a high end operation and do alot of military contract stuff. I can say they have been doing alot of hybrid and electric drivetrains in all their stuff for a while now.

More Power
12-01-2008, 11:52
Yes, the early 506 blocks were a problem, but not all. You could drop the pan, and install a main stud and girdle kit - after a check for cracks. Splayed main caps are an option as well. :)

Jim

john8662
12-01-2008, 22:57
Yeah, not all 506 are bad, I got two of 'em, no cracks. one of them resides in the pickup in the signature, even has the scary 12mm outside main studs (well now with girdle) with oil spray cooling. Oil pressure sucks big time on the early 506 though, have to verify cooling jet size if you want more than 10psi hot idle oil pressure....

J

85-m1028
12-02-2008, 09:08
I guess a girdle is actualy cheap insurance considering the alternative! not sure how to check the oil spay nozzles..