PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 to 6.2

pirate
12-03-2008, 02:02
so i have a 97 gmc 2500 4x4 with the 6.5td in it, and it requires a change. I found a 6.2 what would i have to do to change it in the 97. My truck currently has a 4l80e trans. Do i need to change the trans? I know the 6.2 will bolt up to the trans, but how do i control the shifting of it as its a electronic? Is it just swap the engine into the truck and go or do i need to fabricate parts for it to run? IE throttle linkage. Can i leave it as a mechanical pump or do i need to change it to the electronic one? The 6.2 was running when pulled. what electronics do i need to make the trans work. or do i need to change to a different trans.

trbankii
12-03-2008, 06:22
The comments here would apply to your situation: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33338

pirate
12-05-2008, 08:05
thanks but i had read that post and it tells me some of the things i need to know but i guess i really need to know is, how do i control the electronic trans, and the gas pedal? as the 6.2 is a mechanical pump and I'm not gonna change the pump as the 6.2 runs fine. Its winter here i just want the truck back. thanks

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2008, 09:28
Once the engine is installed, you'll have to do a "regular" EFI to MFI conversion. Tranny control will have to be handled by a stand-alone controller (TCM). There are a couple options available, but that'll be about the last step in the conversion process. Keeping the 4L80E is preferable to replacing it with a weaker or less efficient mechanical. Some other modifications will have to be done if you are keeping your 97 turbo (you'll also need a 93 OEM or Turbomaster for WG control).

For parts (pedal, cable, brackets, cruise control, etc.), try to locate a 1993 or earlier donor (88-93 C/K or 91-93 Sub) in a wrecking yard, which should have most all the conversion parts necessary.

Or....You could replace only the long block (keep your EFI fuel system). Only minor modification would be necessary. The timing cover and balancer (contains the crank sensor) will have to be EFI, and you'll have to accommodate turbo lube system. If you do this, I strongly recommend gages if you don't have them. The 6.2 is less tolerant of EGT limits, and OEM 6.5 fueling will exceed this.

Much depends on the M/Y and application of your 6.2. Other mods may be required to accommodate your 97 accessory drive system and/or the intake manifold.

pirate
12-06-2008, 07:55
thanks guys i'll now need to see how compleate the donar truck is, been told it very rusty and will not pass any kind of inspection. I'll have to see how well it runs and stuff thanks once again

Jodean
02-14-2009, 22:25
ya id keep it simple, put all the 6.5 stuff on the 6.2

you should get better milage with the computer controlled boost controller.

limit your boost to 8-10 psi and you should be ok.

LtWood
02-15-2009, 20:09
the 6.5 has a oil supply port and return. so if u run the 6.2 block you have to figure out how to get oil to the turbo from and to the block. tap the oil pressure switch and return to plate on the front right of block were fuel pump was. its the small stuff like this that make swaps aggravating