PDA

View Full Version : 2006 tranny cooler lines leaking...again...

Mark Rinker
12-03-2008, 13:15
Same old story...but this time they won't be covered under warranty.

What is the BEST solution - so we don't revisit this one again? And why can't the General make a set of cooler lines that lasts?

ARRRGGGHHHH...

Duramaster
12-04-2008, 07:20
WOW! I haven't seen any repeat failures yet. Haven't we gone down this raod before and kind of linked it to the cold weather in the colder climates? :confused:

Mark Rinker
12-04-2008, 08:02
Yes, I think the colder weather makes the fragile aluminum fittings even more likely to fail. Both failures have occured in the winter time here - but, winter is 50% of the time up here, so... ;)

conway
12-04-2008, 11:03
Have you looked at www.russellperformance.com for different hoses?

More Power
12-04-2008, 11:51
Same old story...but this time they won't be covered under warranty.

What is the BEST solution - so we don't revisit this one again? And why can't the General make a set of cooler lines that lasts?

ARRRGGGHHHH...

This is the very same process of failure we've seen with the 6.5L diesel engine oil cooling lines - except the 6.5 uses aluminum hard lines where the Allison uses steel. The 6.5 lines begin leaking at somewhere between 80,000 to 150,000 miles. Countless thermal cycles and age hardening of the rubber hose are likely the cause of the leaks.

The best cure would be a set of aftermarket lines that use reinforced hydraulic hose and AN (or AN like) hydraulic fittings.

Some 6.5 owners have visited a hydraulic hose shop, with their 6.5 oil cooling lines in-hand. The shops were able to replace the rubber hoses and crimped fittings with genuine hydraulic fittings and reinforced hose. The costs involved were about 75% of new GM lines. No reason this couldn't be done with the Allison ATF cooling lines as well.

Jim

gophergunner
12-08-2008, 00:13
This is the favorite part of my truck so far...

I'm currently on the 4th set of lines. Of the 2 places I checked out, neither was able to make up the lines for me. Gotta keep snooping.

spongebob
01-07-2009, 17:33
my lines were replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty
they are leaking again, i now have 85k on the truck..i got no sympathy
from my dealer..
i wont put on another GM line set..

the russel link wasnt very helpful..anyone have another source?

christophersond
01-08-2009, 10:29
I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic, crew cab, 4X4, long bed, which just turned over 30K miles. The tranny line started leaking right after Thanksgiving. Took it to the dealer, and of course they didn't have a line in stock. It is on back order, and I am still waiting.......:mad:

Chris

P.S. I am from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Are there any other Wyomites out there?

spongebob
01-08-2009, 17:23
i talked to the guy i have work on my truck when its in the dealers work shop..he said he's replaced at least 6 of these in as many weeks..
said the rubber is the problem..GM got a dime off for every mile of the hose they buy so they went with it..he said there are 3 hoses in there, and 2 are the problem..im gona keep the "bad" hoses and have some one make me replacments for next time..

thanks GM..i really appreciate you......not.