PDA

View Full Version : wastegate solenoid

maverick_935
12-03-2008, 15:56
Is there a reason why a solenoid would fail after about 3-4 months.
I lost boost, checked pump, ended up at solenoid. Replaced and all is well again.

DmaxMaverick
12-03-2008, 16:04
No reason. Some break. Some don't. The original on my 95 is still working, and most others I'm aware of still work. You may try to minimize vibration and heat transfer. But other than that, you're pretty much at the mercy of the part manufacturer.

DennisG01
12-04-2008, 06:23
The only thing I can think of to try to ward this off from happening again is to once a month spray some WD-40 into the vac line on top of the wastegate. In theory, it should help to keep the solenoid mechanism working. Although following my own advice, I still had to replace a solenoid after a few years. Oh well. I figure it can't hurt, though.:rolleyes:

Robyn
12-04-2008, 08:03
These little devices are not all that sturdy.
The law of averages applies here in force.
As was mentioned, some live long and prosper and some don't

I am a firm believer in replacing all that crap with a good Turbo master spring device and installing a chip that will let the TM work to potential.

A good large exhaust is a good idea as well as a set of gauges (Pyro and boost)

Have fun

Robyn

maverick_935
12-18-2008, 13:58
Again it seems that the wastegate seloid is not working. I have 26" steady vacuum from the pump. I have none after the solenoid.

This is the second one this year. What is wrong!!!

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening? Do I just put on a turbo master?

When it works it works well but this is a pain inthe butt.

Please help!

maverick_935
12-19-2008, 18:28
changed the solenoid(new gm) again and still no boost.

vacuum constant at 26" at idle

any new ideas at this point?

appt at dealer for Monday, need their computer scanner now.

a5150nut
12-19-2008, 19:18
Have you got the lines reversed?

maverick_935
12-20-2008, 05:48
no the lines are not reversed

DennisG01
12-20-2008, 08:47
Again it seems that the wastegate seloid is not working. I have 26" steady vacuum from the pump. I have none after the solenoid.

This is the second one this year. What is wrong!!!

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening? Do I just put on a turbo master?

When it works it works well but this is a pain inthe butt.

Please help!

Where are you checking it after the solenoid? Could the vac line going to the wastegate have a crack in it?

maverick_935
12-20-2008, 17:27
I unplugged the solenoid, the one line from the vacuum pump shows 26" and the one from the solenoid checked at the wastegate shows 0"

The gauge in my truck shows 0"

Checked the lines, no breaks, replaced the solenoid, no change.

Don't know what else there is except computer control.:confused:

JohnC
12-23-2008, 08:57
Check the wires at the plug. Does the solenoid vibrate when the engine is running? Verify the vacuum pump is connected to the port with the restrictor on it.

maverick_935
12-23-2008, 15:00
took to dealer after checking everything, they found a broken wire in the harness. all fixed

really hard to find if you can't energize the circuit.