PDA

View Full Version : block heater question?

DIESEL5
12-03-2008, 18:30
when installing a new block heater does the haeating element (the rounded end of the horse shoe) point up towards the Heads or down towards the oil pan? Iknow it semms like a dumb ? but i am drawing a blank(brain fart) thanks

DaveBr
12-03-2008, 19:05
Going by memory your block heater cord connection prongs are shaped a bit like a triangle. 2 prongs on the same plane and 1 in the middle but higher than the others. The middle prong should go to the top of engine. When you plug your cord into the heater it should point to the ground so it won't work loose. It was -13* here last night so you better git er done.

DmaxMaverick
12-03-2008, 21:05
The element goes up.

I usually use a bit of RTV (Permatex) on the O-ring when replacing them. New O-rings on old, rusty, pitted iron can begin to leak not long after replacement. Clean up the hole as best you can, and smear a thin coat of RTV (blue or black) where the O-ring contacts, or on the O-ring itself. Just enough to "glue" it in place.

HowieE
12-05-2008, 09:10
If you did not note which way the old one was facing I would insert a probe to just make sure the element would not touch any casting. As far as heating is concerned it would make no difference. You just don't want to create a hot spot on the element and cause it to burn out early.

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2008, 09:46
Good advice on checking for contact. I never give it a thought, and just do it. When you get the element installed, and before tightening, rotate it in both directions to detect the contact locations. Rotate it to about the middle between the contact points, and make sure it doesn't rotate while tightening (mark the plug and block). The electrical connector should end up about level with the block (not necessarily the ground). There's actually quite a bit of room between the cylinder walls where the element is located.