PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a Scan Tool

Luis
12-04-2008, 16:59
I'm looking for a scan tool that will cover all of my vehicles; one that covers OBD I & II including diesels (my 01 Duramax)...Anyone have input on this scanner?
ACTRON OBD I and OBD II enhanced and CAN scan tool CP9190 Runs $335.00 on toolprice.com http://www.toolsource.com/elite-auto...-p-100159.html (http://www.toolsource.com/elite-autoscanner-axrcp9190-p-100159.html)

madmatt
12-04-2008, 17:18
I have a Tech 2 , a Snap On MTG2500 and a Matco ProScan Plus all of which are great but I must say I find myself using The Matco the most. It's quick, easy and tells me what I need to know to complete my diag. It also seels as the OTC Nemisys. For Tougher GM specfic problems or programming, I use the Tech 2.

Luis
12-05-2008, 05:26
Thanks Madmatt...those look great but they are out of my price range...would the ACTRON do as much as the Tech 2 of the most needed task for an accurate diagnosis?
Thanks...

madmatt
12-05-2008, 05:32
not even close.

Luis
12-05-2008, 05:51
Interesting...(based on my very limited knowledge) reading their product description provided on the web site, makes it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread...I'll search e-bay, craigs list etc for a used one. What would be a good price to pay?
Thanks for all the info and assistance!

Duramaster
12-05-2008, 07:15
I don't know about the snap-on and matco scanners but be careful buying the GM Tech2 on E-Bay. I have heard stories of them being stolen units therefore you have no support from Vetronix when you need parts and service. The beauty about the tech 2 is that updates are free (if you work at the GM dealership) and there are usually 12 or so a year. My Snap-On dude told me that updates for the MODIS come out every 6 months and cost over $600 each. Madmatt is obviously a tech and it sounds like he has alot more experience with the aftermarket scanners than I do. I personally don't care for the "BRAND X" scanners because they are never up to date on the vehicles. Good luck with your scanner shopping. BTW, I believe the GMTECH 2 will do OBD1 back to 1995 if I'm not mistaken. Madmatt might be able to correct me on this. :)

More Power
12-05-2008, 11:49
Duramaster is correct in that a Tech II will work for the OBD I models, with a cable adapter.

If you just want to read real-time engine data and read/reset trouble codes, I recommend the Predator programmer produced by Diablo. The Predator is less than $400. Aside from the diagnostic ability it can also program for more power and calibrate the speedo after a tire size change.

The Tech II can do more, like position re-learn procedures for the LLY/LBZ/LMM turbo and EGR components, activate/de-activate lots of system components for troubleshooting, disable individual injectors for troubleshooting, Passlock security re-learn, and a host of others.... So, it all depends on what you want to do... :)

Jim

joed
12-06-2008, 18:40
Check out Car Code. I've used this on my 6.5s and some gas OBD II vehicles. It reads many parameters and has engine specific data options as well.

It has several advanced tests available (e.g., it can turn on/off injectors on the 6.5), but I'm not sure what for the Dmax.

I believe it's around $125.

His website is: obd-2.com

Likewise, there are several laptop programs available for OBD I. WinALDL is one I've used on my older GMs.

Joe.

Luis
12-16-2008, 17:22
Been doing some checkin' round...The Autoxray I mention in my previous post is a good scanner BUT it won't cover diesel's. I want an affordable scanner that will cover ALL my vehicles; both gas and diesel and OBD I and OBD II. Most the scanners I've been looking at won't cover diesel unless it specifically identifies diesel in the product description. Most scanners only cover the emissions on vehicles and not TCM, BCM, Air Bags or ABS unless you go to a Tech 2 , a Snap On MTG2500 or a Matco ProScan Plus or something in that price range.
I did find the Nemisys OTC3797 USA 2007 Domestic Scan Kit. It has the following:
Supports powertrain, transmission, Domestic ABS and air bag systems. Asian ABS and air bag support optional.
Gasoline and diesel engine coverage
Vehicle data communications and power LED indicators
Demo mode permits operation without vehicle connection
Supports multiple trouble code requests, generic codes (mode 3), pending codes (mode 7), enhanced codes and GM DTC status
On-screen definitions of OBD I trouble codes, OBD II generic and OBD II manufacturer specific codes
Displays OBD II freeze frame information
Displays readiness test status
Displays O2 sensor test
Test results (mode 6)
Vehicle ID (mode 9)
Set measurement units in SAE English/Metric
Live Generic and OBD II enhanced data stream display
Custom data configuration
Automatically records 150 frames of data
Three record modes- marker frame, freeze data history and code triggered record
Reset “check engine” lights
Domestic data / sensor information – sensor data item descriptions, typical sensor values and repair strategy footnotes with live data
Customize data views in line graph, LED or digital format with the push of a button
Includes six AA batteries for uninterrupted power supply and off-vehicle use
Protected compact flash memory slot for software updates
Internet upgradable
The good thing about this scanner is the price. It's more than I can afford right now; regular price is $1,275.00 and listed at $860.00. I'll start saving a little more and get one next year...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and in-site...Merry Christmas!

D_R_C
12-16-2008, 21:43
I'm looking for a scan tool that will cover all of my vehicles; one that covers OBD I & II including diesels (my 01 Duramax)...Anyone have input on this scanner?
ACTRON OBD I and OBD II enhanced and CAN scan tool CP9190 Runs $335.00 on toolprice.com http://www.toolsource.com/elite-auto...-p-100159.html (http://www.toolsource.com/elite-autoscanner-axrcp9190-p-100159.html)

This probably won`t fit your needs but you can check it out if you want.
www.mactools.com search for ET50 code checker / scan / clearer,
cost $69
I have one and I have used it on several vehicles 96 - up and I like it,and it is small.
You can also find a Mac Tools distributer in your area, if you have one but he /she will charge about $80-$90

madmatt
12-17-2008, 10:22
Been doing some checkin' round...The Autoxray I mention in my previous post is a good scanner BUT it won't cover diesel's. I want an affordable scanner that will cover ALL my vehicles; both gas and diesel and OBD I and OBD II. Most the scanners I've been looking at won't cover diesel unless it specifically identifies diesel in the product description. Most scanners only cover the emissions on vehicles and not TCM, BCM, Air Bags or ABS unless you go to a Tech 2 , a Snap On MTG2500 or a Matco ProScan Plus or something in that price range.
I did find the Nemisys OTC3797 USA 2007 Domestic Scan Kit. It has the following:
Supports powertrain, transmission, Domestic ABS and air bag systems. Asian ABS and air bag support optional.
Gasoline and diesel engine coverage
Vehicle data communications and power LED indicators
Demo mode permits operation without vehicle connection
Supports multiple trouble code requests, generic codes (mode 3), pending codes (mode 7), enhanced codes and GM DTC status
On-screen definitions of OBD I trouble codes, OBD II generic and OBD II manufacturer specific codes
Displays OBD II freeze frame information
Displays readiness test status
Displays O2 sensor test
Test results (mode 6)
Vehicle ID (mode 9)
Set measurement units in SAE English/Metric
Live Generic and OBD II enhanced data stream display
Custom data configuration
Automatically records 150 frames of data
Three record modes- marker frame, freeze data history and code triggered record
Reset “check engine” lights
Domestic data / sensor information – sensor data item descriptions, typical sensor values and repair strategy footnotes with live data
Customize data views in line graph, LED or digital format with the push of a button
Includes six AA batteries for uninterrupted power supply and off-vehicle use
Protected compact flash memory slot for software updates
Internet upgradable
The good thing about this scanner is the price. It's more than I can afford right now; regular price is $1,275.00 and listed at $860.00. I'll start saving a little more and get one next year...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and in-site...Merry Christmas!

Thats the same as the Matco. I love mine.

Rabbler
12-17-2008, 23:04
I saw a demo in the Nemysis. It's a decent tool.
The less expensive Genysis will probably serve you just as well unless you are a professional tech. The built in lab scope is nice but you could probably get a stand alone lab scope and a Genysis cheaper.

Neither of these will compete with the tech 2 though on a GM vehicle.
They simply don't support a lot of the special that are necessary for proper diagnosis.

madmatt
12-18-2008, 13:04
I think you have your scan tools backwards.

Rabbler
12-20-2008, 15:06
Your right!
I confused the Nemisys with the new top of the line Pegisys.

madmatt
12-20-2008, 15:12
I wish the nemisys/Matco pro scan were lab scope capable!!!!!!! Would have been one less to0l to buy!