PDA

View Full Version : Electricity problem to cause for surging?

lmholmes11
12-09-2008, 16:08
I had the injectors replaced about 4,000 miles ago on my truck. I have noticed that when ever i come to a stop sometimes...not all of the time, the lights dim a little bit, and the heater slows down. Not an excessive ammount, but enough to notice it. Ever since i have owned the truck there has always been a surge at idle. I have replaced the fuel filters, and the truck still does it. I am guessing the more probable cause is a failing fuel pressure regulator. However, would some sort of power issue cause the idle?

Kennedy
12-09-2008, 18:55
2001 model year is the most common year to have sticking/surging regulator. Try a good additive like FPPF Total Power for starters.

lmholmes11
12-09-2008, 19:25
Have you ever used "Primrose 405" i believe it is called? Ive heard good things about both 405 and FPPF. However i have heard that Primrose isnt recommended for colder climates. (I live in Michigan)

Duramaster
12-09-2008, 22:15
Have you ever had the engine software updated? There were alot of updates for the 2001 model year.

lmholmes11
12-10-2008, 09:45
No i havent, how do I go about doing that, and how much does it cost? Sounds pretty expensive.

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2008, 10:57
GM doesn't charge for the calibrations. Problem is, the dealer (or someone/shop with dealer connections) is the only place to get them. Most dealers/shops charge an hour labor for the calibrations. If you've never had it done, be sure to get the TCM calibration update, as well.

lmholmes11
12-10-2008, 23:32
Ok, i might consider doing that. What are the updates for and how will it affect my truck? Sorry, might be a stupid question but i'm new to updating the software of trucks.

Duramaster
12-11-2008, 07:19
On the ECM side, one of the updates addressed the idle surge and I do believe it addressed light throttle surge as well. On the TCM side, the software addressed shift busyness. You local GM dealer can address verify this for you. In the end, even after updating the software, I usually ended up replacing the Fuel pressure regulator as well.

Kennedy
12-11-2008, 20:18
The general rule back in the day was if it surges when cold the software would address it. If warm, it was a pump regulator. I would definitely suggest doing any and all ECM and TCM tuning updates available.