PDA

View Full Version : no start

pirate
12-10-2008, 12:29
my 97 gmc just wont turn over! I took all the cables off the batts and cleaned them and inspected them nothing wrong except for a bit of corrision, cleaned and re-installed, pulled the starter and cleaned all the connections ( really dirty) and re-installed it. still no start just a nice heavy click. Put a good starter motor in it in case the other one was bad still just a click. Batt are fully charged, tried jumping it with a running truck still no go. What am i missing? it still has the side post in it, do i need to change to top posts? do i need to re-insure it for fire and burn it to the ground?:D, or do i need to change the batt cables down to the starter (are they common at going bad)?
thanks again for the responses in advance

rameye
12-10-2008, 13:14
The batts could be bad...what is the resting voltage??

What is the voltage when you turn it over??

I have had batts that show me 13v at rest and then goto practically nil upon starting.

Haul the batts in to autozone or a repair shop and test them. After that I would start looking at cables. They can look terrific but be green and destroyed inside the pretty exterior. Grounds are just as much part of the game as the red ones.

Jumping a DOA battery can often yield no result.

The starter and solenoid are new?? Guess you can put that aside for now!

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2008, 13:33
If it's clicking when the key is turned to start, it usually means not enough current to the starter field. Most common cause is weak/failing battery(ies) or poor cable/terminal connection(s). Could also be a problem with the engine. Check to be sure it turns by hand (or a socket on the balancer bolt). If it is just "clunking" in and not turning the engine, you could have a flexplate/flywheel issue, or worse (such as hydrolock).

pirate
12-11-2008, 23:42
yes the truck turns over by hand, the starter is new and solenoid is as well. It was cold out today, and i went and looked at the batts and now it looks like both of the batteries are bad, im just waiting till after xmas now to buy new ones and new cables. Do i need to buy side post ones or can i go to top posts? is there enough room under the hood? can i up the amount of batteies under the hood it looks like there is almost enought room to put a third one if i go to gell cells? can i mix gell cell and lead acids?any one done it. the only reason is winter is long and hard here and more batt are good.

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2008, 00:34
You can mix batteries, but not unless you have them isolated (not continually connected to the same circuit). You shouldn't need to, in any case. A healthy starting system will handle the worst you can throw at it with two good batteries. Many people do it every day.

You can install top post batteries. There's no advantage to it, though. Some thought so, and did it. Same old stuff. Properly installed and maintained side post batteries/cables are as good, or better, than top post. Do it right and be done with it. Keep them clean and don't abuse the terminals, and they'll last the life the battery should. Same with top posts.

If you are concerned with battery durability, get a set of Optimas. A little more money, but worth it.

rameye
12-14-2008, 11:39
Glad you figured it out...Dmax is on target with the Optima batts...more dollars, but one day you'll be glad you could turn it over a few more times than normal.

I have an on board float charger I bought at sears for 29 bucks...its a maintainer wont overcharge. Batts can lose 10% of their charge per week without it....FYI once you let them dip under 11 volts resting, they will lose upwards of 50% of their capacity. Even after a full re-charge! New technology gel cells are not affected that way, but they dont have the kick a regular battery has either.

My sub sits and is rarely used so a batt maintainer is the way to go for me.

DickWells
12-14-2008, 16:32
Maybe you know about this already, but if not, then here it is. If you do decide to stay with side posts, and save yourself some money, consider doing what I always do when I buy a GM vehicle, and change the terminal bolts. Old DP fix for keeping good contact at the terminals.
I use four 3/8-16 by 1 1/2 inch SS bolts with 2 nuts on each. You have to clean up some of the rubber around the wire terminals. Put a nut on, then the wire, or wires, then another nut, and screw it into the battery till it bottoms, then back it off a bit and tighten the bottom nut, not too tight, then hold that nut from turning, while you use the jam nut to come down nice and tight on the wire. Much more positive than the factory (8mm head) bolts. You do have to check them periodically, though. I've found mine loose a few times. When the starter sounds a wee bit lazy in cold weather, it's usually the bottom nut that has backed off a bit.
Good luck.
Dick:)