PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding converting an 1989 GMC Sierra

nucFlash
12-13-2008, 20:53
Hello and good day.

I found this site quite by accident but have been utterly fascinated by its contents.

I am currently driving a 1989 GMC Sierra 1/2 pickup and was extremely interested to read about the conversion of a 1989 Chevy 1/2 pickup.

I guess I have a few questions, but my first would be the ballpark of cost?

I realize that this would be something of a labor of love (meaning it most likely would never be shown to actually save/make money), but I can't seem to find any information on the Internet on how much the Duramax 6600s cost (new or rebuilt)?

I would also be interested in any success stories people have had with trucks of my vintage (late 80s/early 90s).

Thanks in advance.

More Power
12-15-2008, 00:39
Welcome to the board!

The cost to convert your truck would be highly variable. It all depends on how well you do shopping for the parts and how much of the conversion you can do yourself.

Obtaining a salvage truck is the best way to acquire all the parts you'd need. With the earliest Duramax powered trucks now 8 years old, a salvage truck could be pretty cheap. Also, low mileage Duramax conversion packages occasionally turn up on eBay.

It would be best if you have some good mechanical abilities and aren't put-off by some light fabrication (motor mounts and intercooler). The wiring is usually the most daunting, but we've done it with Lil Red - a 1989 K1500... Others have as well.

The pay-off is the new power.... ;)

At some point in the near future, we'll have a story online about a really nice 1987 Chevy C3500 that was converted to D/A. :)

Jim