PDA

View Full Version : 1995 K-1500 Vacuum Pump Replacement

ccole
12-13-2008, 22:14
Hello all and happy holidays-
Quick question regarding my 1995 K1500 Non-Turbo 6.5 diesel.... The last couple days, I have noticed a couple times during low rpm, my powersteering has been weak, causing much more physical force to turn the wheel. Check the fluid and all ok. Not that big of a deal, but thought I would mention this as I lead into my main question: The belt drive vacuum pump located below the A/C compressor today started making a loud "thudd-ing" sound that is consistant with the RPM of the engine. It is starting to sound pretty bad. I would assume that Remove and Replace with a new vacuum pump is the common fix for this. Are they tough to replace??... and do I need to get the A/C compressor out of the way to get the the vacuum pump??? Does the vacuum pump have any association to the power steering being weak at low rpm? Any advise/assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!

rustyk
12-14-2008, 18:59
Hello all and happy holidays-
Quick question regarding my 1995 K1500 Non-Turbo 6.5 diesel.... The last couple days, I have noticed a couple times during low rpm, my powersteering has been weak, causing much more physical force to turn the wheel. Check the fluid and all ok. Not that big of a deal, but thought I would mention this as I lead into my main question: The belt drive vacuum pump located below the A/C compressor today started making a loud "thudd-ing" sound that is consistant with the RPM of the engine. It is starting to sound pretty bad. I would assume that Remove and Replace with a new vacuum pump is the common fix for this. Are they tough to replace??... and do I need to get the A/C compressor out of the way to get the the vacuum pump??? Does the vacuum pump have any association to the power steering being weak at low rpm? Any advise/assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!

In addition to the vacuum pump, check the damper pulley on the crankshaft. The vacuum pump has no connection to the power steering pump as it operates the turbo wastegate, and on some models (probably not yours) the air blend doors in the A/C-heater system.

Since the damper pulley is critical, that really must be checked, as the symptoms of the vacuum pump may be the result of the pulley or another problem. The P/S issue may also be related to the pulley, or may be a problem indendent of what you've so far seen/heard.

w6bauer
12-15-2008, 00:03
what does the vacuum pump operate on a naturally aspirated 6.5?

DmaxMaverick
12-15-2008, 00:20
what does the vacuum pump operate on a naturally aspirated 6.5?

EGR, if it has it. Otherwise, it shouldn't have a vacuum pump.

ccole
12-18-2008, 07:23
Yepper- It is a naturally asperated 6.5 with a vacuum pump. Trust me- My skinned knuckles prove it, after removing it last night. Also broke the vacuum pump pulley in the process of trying to remove it from the failed vacuum pump. Grrrrr..

Robyn
12-18-2008, 08:20
Removing the pulley without breaking it requires a push/puller tool that attaches to the little groove on the hub area at the center of the pulley.

To reinstall the pulley the puller then becomes a puher and the center bolt hold the shaft while the outer assembly pushes the pulley back onto the unit.

These tools are not terribly expensive and can be had at most major parts stores (Napa, Auto zone etc)

Buy the tool as it will also work on other things like alternators and power steering pumps too.

Best
Robyn