PDA

View Full Version : hey patrick m....

Polar Diesel
05-04-2004, 19:29
What are the number for your garrett turbo? I'm considering doing some playing also. Are you happy with it? anyone else have any experience with non-wastegated turbo's??

dieseldummy
05-04-2004, 20:43
I'm not Pat, but I have tried the non-wastegated Garrett. I wan't happy with results on my pickup, only got 5lbs of boost, but have since installed it on a '96 that is more or less stock and it gets 11lbs of boost with about a 150 degree reduction in exhaust temps. The turbo I have is a Garrett T04B with a .6 intake ratio and a .96 exhaust ratio. Building an adapter to go from the T4 flange on the turbo to the T3 flange on the manifold is required and the exhaust must be modified, but other than that it is more or less a bolt on deal. If you are interested in a turbo upgrade search for Britanic's custom setup using a wastegated turbo from a Bank's kit for the 6.9 and 7.3 Ford, he has good success with it as well.
Justin

patrick m.
05-05-2004, 16:43
Back when i first got the big Garrett, i removed the original GM4, and imediately saw a BIG power increase. Even thought the Garrett produced less boost at a given rpm/throttle position it still made more power, power you could feel. It would still produce the same max boost as the GM4, (15psi+-) just not as easily.
The first unit is a T04B, with a 1.0A/R turbine housing and a .60compressor housing.
I bought another off E-Bay, brand new, it had a .89 turbine and a .60 compressor.
not much difference between the 2, maybe the second spools faster than the first MAYBE.

I have found that you cant get exactly what you want in a turbo (for these trucks) and get a T-3 turbine inlet. all kinds of combos are availible with the T-4 inlet. That is prolly my next step.

GMCTD can explain very well what A/R, and sizes, and trims, and all that stuff better than i can, i just figured id try some different combos.
i'll have to go look at the turbo for the part number. I have also found that alot of Garrett turbos are sold by Borg Warner or "as" so the part numbers may be either company's numbers.

Polar Diesel
05-06-2004, 05:56
so basically you need t4 flanged turbo to get the correct A/R combo you want, but our trucks have a t3 manifold. so an adaptor plate is need to fit up a t4. all the research i've done shows most t3 equipment is made for the import vehicals and smaller engines.

Polar Diesel
05-06-2004, 16:49
would you be interested in selling your first turbo?

patrick m.
05-09-2004, 05:56
Not yet, i may try some combinations of parts from each unit.