PDA

View Full Version : How much should I spend on a 97 Cheyenne with a 6.5?

Lonesome7.3
12-17-2008, 03:14
This is how the ad reads:
“1997 CHEVROLET CHEYENNE CREWCAB PICKUP, 4X4, 6 CYL TURBO POWER DIESEL ENGINE, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, MI: 62948, (RUNNING)”

The truck looks good. It has a vinyl floor mat and vinyl seats. The body looks good just has faded paint. I will most likely have to have this shipped so that has to be figured in. So, what you all think? I have never owned a truck like this and I have no idea what it is worth.

Lonesome7.3
12-17-2008, 08:24
Here are some photographs.

DmaxMaverick
12-17-2008, 08:36
Take into consideration the replacement of two cylinders. Could have a significant impact on purchase value.

Robyn
12-17-2008, 09:06
Hmmmm As Maverick mentioned about the 2 missing cylinders.

Should have a 6.5 V8. (Looks like a typo to me )

If the body is good (No rust) and the rig runs good its worth a fair price.

What are they asking??

I paid $8800 for my 95 Dually Crew cab diesel over a year ago now.

Price is comensurate with condition. Those missing cylinders are gonna cost like He** to get them back on the engine :D

The cheaper you can get it the better, me thinks.

Could very well be a great deal.

I would have to take a guess that the large vehicle market is a tad slow right now so you may be able to wrangle a nice deal.

Go to Kelly bluebook online and check out what its worth as a private party sale.

Good luck

Robyn

Lonesome7.3
12-17-2008, 21:15
I was worried about the two missing cylinders. But I figured a good machine shop can correct that.

I knew that typo would not go unnoticed. But that is how the ad is written.

Thank you for the information. I really like the truck and I want a rig with a good running 6.5. (even if it is the six cylinder version)

My wife has a 96 F250 with a 351. The trucks runs great considering it has north of 200,000 miles. My pitch to her is that this Chevy will pull better and get better ful mileage. not to mention less upkeep. Does that sound realistic?

chickenhunterbob
12-18-2008, 18:51
Cheyenne is among the most, if not the most basic of appearance/comfort trim packages. May have A/C, and may have AM radio, but will have no carpet and vinyl seats, no cupholders, armrests, power windows, locks, seats, nothing like that.

No chrome or body side trim, rusty steel wheels, etc.

But... if it starts and runs good, looks like the haze could be buffed out, and has low mileage, it may serve to haul a shingling crew around.

May get better mileage than the F-250, upkeep is a crapshoot with a 11 year old vehicle of any sort, but I would never in my wildest dreams ever expect for my wife to drive a 4 door crew cab Cheyenne diesel pickup truck, I'd be divorced immediately.

Lonesome7.3
12-18-2008, 21:29
She WANTS a crew cab deisel. Actually she wants a 95 and up Ford with a 7.3. But, I really do not want to spend that kind of money. We already have one in the family. I like the truck becuase it is so simple.

Yukon6.2
12-19-2008, 09:46
Hi
There is a lot to be said about basic.Especially after the warenty is up.
No power windows to messup no carpet to hold all the spilt drinks.
I feel sorry for the folks that have bought the latest run of luxury trucks.
I can't imagine what all that electronic junk is going to cost to fix when the warrenty goes off
power mirrors
heated seats
power windows
gps
trip computers
ect
This is all nice stuff if you have the$$$$ to back it up,but do'es the average person with a ton of mounthly bills really need this,especally if they arn't hands on.I'm hands on and would rather have the basic truck.
My 2 cents
Thomas

sturgeon-phish
12-19-2008, 13:43
Can you do a car fax? Or can you speak to the previous owners?
Jim

Lonesome7.3
12-19-2008, 18:02
I do like basic trucks for that reason.

i have tried to contact the owner, but no response.

93GMCSierra
12-19-2008, 21:34
This is how the ad reads:
“1997 CHEVROLET CHEYENNE CREWCAB PICKUP, 4X4, 6 CYL TURBO POWER DIESEL ENGINE, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, MI: 62948, (RUNNING)”

The truck looks good. It has a vinyl floor mat and vinyl seats. The body looks good just has faded paint. I will most likely have to have this shipped so that has to be figured in. So, what you all think? I have never owned a truck like this and I have no idea what it is worth.

I think where you live is very much a part of how much it will be as well,
the 97 chevy silverado in my sig cost $4,900.

Lonesome7.3
12-20-2008, 06:06
That truck looks newer than a 97. We are going to try and get it for around $2000.

93GMCSierra
12-20-2008, 11:18
Might get it, the Cheyenne does look quite a bit different, the headlights being the main thing, I am not sure why they used sealed beam bulbs.

KallyI
12-21-2008, 01:43
I have a 1997 Cheyenne, and it doesn't look like that. I have air, cruise, tilt, cloth 60/40 seat, and the composite headlights. I've had it since it was 6 months old. Maybe options were available?

Lonesome7.3
12-21-2008, 08:43
I did not notice the head light difference. This must me as basic as you could get back then.

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2008, 09:21
Looks like a W/T option (Work Truck). Simplicity, reliability and bottom line is the key with these. The same as would be ordered by government fleets, like Forest Service, Fire, DOT, etc. Less stuff to go wrong, and they fit the budget better.

Lonesome7.3
12-22-2008, 00:18
That is one of the things that appeals to me about this truck. Considering it is in GA, is $2000 a realistic price?

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2008, 01:03
That is one of the things that appeals to me about this truck. Considering it is in GA, is $2000 a realistic price?

If it runs/drives well, I'd buy it. If it doesn't, I'd seriously consider it. Much depends on how many fixes it needs, and what needs to be fixed. Most problems are simple, to me anyway. $2k isn't what I'd call realistic. It would easily sell for twice that in my area. It looks like a good deal at that price. But, consider any reasons it might be offered at that price. Could be just a market area issue. Be sure to run it through Carfax and/or a dealer, as well as law enforcement (VIN verification, make sure the VIN's all match, and are original decals). Check the title for GTA recovery, salvage, etc.

Lonesome7.3
12-22-2008, 07:42
Thanks. I am not sure what they sell gor in my area. That is all we can afford though.

trbankii
12-22-2008, 11:28
If you can get it for that, I'd say you got a good deal. I checked Kelly Blue Book - www.kbb.org - for Georgia and what information I could from your description and it gave prices in the range of $6900 to $8000 for good to excellent condition. For that low of mileage you'd probably pay a premium around here.

93GMCSierra
12-22-2008, 14:23
With the current economy in Georgia I would say you can get that truck for $2k to about $3500, what do they have it listed for?

Lonesome7.3
12-22-2008, 22:17
I have been able to get a price yet. Thanks for the link.

trbankii
12-23-2008, 07:14
Just for comparison, a couple local 6.5s for sale on craigslist:

1997 Chevy 2500 6.5L turbo diesel 4x4
202,000 miles
myers power angle plow setup

I bought this truck from a Maryland state auction. It is yellow, with minor rust, all boxes on the utility bed work well. Truck could use paint, mostly TLC.

$3000.00 will consider trades
call 717-587-xxxx with questions

1993 Chevy 1 ton (3500)
Great for pulling your trailer or camper!
blue and silver
80,000 original Miles
Fresh rebuild on 5 speed manual transmission (four speed with low)
new clutch (GM replacement Clutch)
new PA inspection
four new tires (bfg all terrains)
aftermarket wheels
regular cab
8 foot bed
perfect interior, very clean
manual locks, windows
new head unit, pioneer
17-18 mpg
strong running, good looking truck, ready to roll, call for more info
$6000
Call me anytime at 717-517-xxxx

(no pictures offered with either ad)

Lonesome7.3
12-23-2008, 08:20
Thanks. I was hopefull after the first ad. But the second tells me I may not have a chance. We will see what happens when my wife tries to buy it.

trbankii
12-23-2008, 14:28
There is always some chance at a deal. Maybe no price was posted because they don't really know what it is worth. Just that with the low mileage and the interior not looking too worn I'd expect it to fetch a decent price. However, the bit about it "running" and the "6 cyl" engine could lean towards not having a clue.

That you haven't gotten any response from them could mean it is long gone... Welcome to the fun world of horse trading!

You mentioned having that one shipped to you - how far away is it from you?

Lonesome7.3
12-23-2008, 21:17
It is only a few hows from the house. So I am sure my wife can go get it. But just in case, I wanted to be ready to ship it.

trbankii
12-24-2008, 07:16
Only reason I asked about shipping was wondering how far afield you were willing to go. Keep your eye on craigslist, eBay, and AutoTrader and you'll eventually find what you are looking for.

I spent a couple years looking for my truck - mainly because I was looking for mechanical injection and a manual transmission. So that limited me to the '93 models and a fairly small percentage of them at that.

Lonesome7.3
12-24-2008, 22:39
I am not really in the market for another truck. I just like this one. If we cannot get it, I will not be all that upset.