PDA

View Full Version : 94 Pump timing

Shad
10-21-2003, 14:39
Can anyone tell me how to check pump timing on my inj. pump. I dont have a manual for my sub yet and the dealer said it sounded a little loud at cold startup. I think it sounds fine however I should still verify the pump timing. I think it runs/sounds great pulls like a s.o.b.

charliepeterson
10-21-2003, 19:01
'94 should be Electronic Fuel Injection and OBD I computer controlled. Any hand scanner with OBD I programing should let you see the Timing numbers. To change the timing is a different story. A Tech II or any Bi-Directional scanner will get into the computer software to change the timing along with rotating the Injection Pump one way or the other ever so slightly.
One of our friends here E-Mailed me a program which is supposed to work using a regular scanner and some fancy footwork with the accelerator and key on/off. I haven't tried this yet. I'm lucky to have a Tech II.

If you want you can E-Mail me and I'll try to send the program to you to try.
mrcool264@netzero.net

Cowracer
10-22-2003, 11:26
Charlie,

Send me a copy please at

TPSTREISEL "at" YAHOO.COM

Thanks!

Tim

ucdavis
10-22-2003, 11:39
Charlie,
If its not too much trouble, I've got a buddy choking along w/getting a new rebuild sync'd in:
Mike@Fleming.cc
thanks!

kowsoc
10-22-2003, 20:58
The cold clatter is quite normal as the PCM advances injection timing about 5 degrees on a cold engine. As timing advances the diesel clatter or knock becomes more pronounced. For good power and economy it is better to have timing on the advanced side anyway. You should use a fuel conditioner that has cetane boost. The cold clatter (and warm noise) will be quieter and power and fuel economy benefits will outweigh the cost of the additive. Power Service in the grey bottle is what I mostly use....it's cheap and improves performance and fuel economy 5% plus.

Shad
10-23-2003, 01:20
I have just strarted using a fuel additive, I am on my second tank. I record my mileage so I will see if there is a difference. Right now I think it sounds normal and I am getting a consistant 16-17 mpg w/3.73 gears so I'm not complaining.