PDA

View Full Version : Strange Vibration

gmenor
12-19-2008, 05:28
For the last couple months I have had a vibration during acceleration over 50 mph. There is an associated low humming that goes along with the vibration. Last night driving back from VA, any slight acceleration (cruise control on @ 70 mph) especially on any hills the Burb would vibrate. Vibration could be felt through the steering wheel. Again this vibrates under acceleration, let off the gas petal smooth. I can't figure out if it is associated with the engine, suspension or steering. The U-Joints were changed out last year and they are still solid (no play). I suspect that it might be the Goodrich T/A tires (has a slight "cupping" on the inside). Has anyone had any similar problems and what was the solution. Thanks in advance.

kaylabryn
12-19-2008, 07:39
Might be the Torgue converter. I had this problem but only when it was locking up under heavy load, if i let up it would grab and I could continue. I hope it is not for your sake.

Mike

gmenor
12-19-2008, 15:14
Wouldn't have guessed that but worth looking into. Thanks

suburbanK-2500HD
12-22-2008, 14:51
It could still be the u joints.

Best way is to remove the propeller shaft and check if it moves evenly.
I have had the same issue.
I had no play, but when i removed the shaft the joint wasnt even..

Its i easy job.

:)

JTodd
12-22-2008, 16:12
I had a similar problem, and my u-joints were also about a year old. I checked them quickly anyway. The problem turned out to be they were failing, and in doing so would bind enough that they were not loose when checking. Their actual status was only seen when the shaft was removed.

I would give them a second look if I were you.

gmenor
12-25-2008, 20:49
Thanks, I'm having the beast lifted at a friends repair shop. Just to make sure. I can't afford to be stranded.