PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter base deformation oil loss

carco
12-22-2008, 18:47
Any one noted this problem? If so what filter was involved? What ambient Temp?
Saw an article by M & S Technical Services Inc. that states Duramax oil filters can fail due to excessive pressure spikes of up to 275PSI cold start high RPM operation. The filter flexes under high pressure blows the seal out and in no time engine oil is lost. I have not had this happen nor have my customers. I know VW has had this problem on some of their engines for several years. I use Delco/GM, Wix and Fleetguard filters for diesels. M & S notes that GM/Delco/Delphi,
Wix, Fleetguard, and Baldwin produce filters with more robust base plates to combat this base plate deformation problem and loss of oil. Just curious and @ same time if any one is useing a lesser filter in this cold weather may want to consider a change. Filter seal blows @ 60mph, 10 quarts of oil is about 10 seconds. bob..........

jbplock
12-23-2008, 07:03
Bob,
I don't have any personal experience with this problem but IIRC Baldwin had a problem early on with the B1441 and it was redesigned to handle the higher oil pressure seen on the LB7.. As you pointed out it's probably not a problem with a good filter i.e. AC, WIX, Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson, etc .. :)