PDA

View Full Version : hx35w turboed 6.5's...how much power?

kyle41005
12-27-2008, 20:45
ive read a few things where guys have thrown in 18:1 pistons and a hx35w and made "much better" power... has anyone who has done this ever dynoed their truck??? just wondering what kind of power gains something like that would yield

More Power
12-28-2008, 16:53
Once you've added a higher-flow turbo, the limit to power becomes fuel... The DB/DS has a theoretical upper fueling limit (about 88mm3 at 2000-rpm), which can push the 6.5 to about the mid 220-250 uncorrected rear-wheel range. The fuel-rate curve peaks at 2000-rpm and tapers off as rpms climb. You've got quite a bit less fuel at 3000-rpm. This is one of the key benefits of a marine DB2. Its fuel-rate curve is designed to deliver more fuel at the working engine rpm used in a marine application.

With a stock on-road fuel injection pump, you'll need propane (fuel) to get above 300RW. I'd hesitate recommending this unless you've got a P400, which is factory rated at 250FW by AM General.

One of the more immediately noticeable benefits of a more free-flowing turbo is engine temperature, while being pushed, especially at higher engine speeds.

Jim

HH
12-28-2008, 19:00
One of the more immediately noticeable benefits of a more free-flowing turbo is engine temperature, while being pushed, especially at higher engine speeds.

Jim

Would that be true gong from a GM-3 to a GM-8? I just picked up a new GM-8 for the 1993.

daustin
12-28-2008, 23:00
I did that swap last year, the -8 seems to build boost quicker and keeps it going longer with a little lower IAT. I"ve been happy with the swap on my '93truck.
Don

More Power
12-28-2008, 23:53
Would that be true gong from a GM-3 to a GM-8? I just picked up a new GM-8 for the 1993.

Moving up to a GM-8 is a step in the right direction - by just a little. It's still too restrictive for a modded 6.5, and especially for one run with additional power at higher engine rpms.

The GM-series of turbochargers were really designed for the average (at the time - early 90's) diesel pickup owner who operated at stock power. It spools fast and delivers great driveability at modest power levels. :)

Jim

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-29-2008, 18:45
So, what are some good turbo's that would bolt up and build boost fast without helping heat the engine to much? I intend to look for one in the spring along with an ARP head stud setup.