PDA

View Full Version : decrease in power and allison problem

granvil96
12-29-2008, 08:55
:rolleyes: I first notice that the truck would not engage in drive when first started until I waited say 10 seconds. The first real problem I had driving(not towing) and I pulled over to look at a motorcycle and could see it was not what I wanted, when taking off the truck barely moved. When it got going it acted fine. I pulled over into a parking lot and it did the same and when I tried reverse it would clunk loudly. Once again I took off barely and then it was fine. Pulled in to buy an allison filter and transmission fluid, when I tried reverse it would not do anything. I parked it and got the parts and when I started the truck everything work fine. No codes or missing gear indicators etc. I change the fluid(8 quarts) and filter, it work great. Next it started bogging down when I would try to pass someone. If I eased into it it would work great. Higher rpm's it would decrease the power. Parked the truck and a week later took a trip again and it worked great and ran super. After a drop in outside temperture from 58 to 36 and 100 miles later it acted up again. Park it for a few hours and made a 24 mile run and it work great again. Any ideas where to go next. It has 57,000 miles on it the tranny fluid is not burned, I change the filter at 500 miles and filter and fluid at 50,000. It has maybe 8k towing a 6,000lb trailer. I recently install an edge but have never towed with it and have only used it on the lowest setting I believe 20hp. No other mods.

DmaxMaverick
12-29-2008, 12:54
Remove the Edge and try to duplicate the problem. There are known drivability issues with them in some cases. Also sounds like you may have 2 problems, including an ATF leakdown when cold (no biggie, just inconvenient).

Mark Rinker
12-29-2008, 13:49
First problem with no reverse sounds like a TCM (Transmission Control Module) limp to me. Second problem with high RPM / throttle request 'bogging' sounds like a classic LB7 plugged/iced fuel filter...in Missouri you might not be getting the winter blended fuel?

After eliminating the Edge variable, and if the 'bogging' problems persist...I'd change the fuel filter and check/reset any codes that were set.

Most here agree that 15K intervals for fuel filter replacement is about right...how many miles on yours?

granvil96
12-29-2008, 19:36
Thanks for the ideas it is time to change the fuel filter and if that does not help I will try to remove the edge.:)

Mark Rinker
12-30-2008, 07:40
Replacing the fuel filter will more than likely take care of the 'bogging'. However, if you lose reverse again - and all but one forward speed - its probably the Edge setting you are using (tranny is slipping, causing a TCM limp) and/or too much boost (ECM overboost limp). Are you using any kind of boost fooler (PPE, Kennedy Boost Valve, etc.)?

Got gauges? Or if your Edge gives you boost information - what peaks are you seeing under full acceleration? At 65mph level cruise?

granvil96
12-30-2008, 08:17
When I lost reverse the truck limp in first and afterwards shifted normally thru the rest of the gears. I have an early model edge with no boost readings. Last 80 miles truck has run fine. Not using a boost fooler.

More Power
12-30-2008, 14:22
Off topic, but I love that '55 you have in your profile.... My favorite car of all time!

Jim

Mark Rinker
12-30-2008, 16:45
When I lost reverse the truck limp in first and afterwards shifted normally thru the rest of the gears. I have an early model edge with no boost readings. Last 80 miles truck has run fine. Not using a boost fooler.

Do you recall what level you were running the Edge on that day? Your transmission was complaining...

If you are making black smoke on acceleration, adding a Kennedy Boost Valve can clean it up, help mileage and make a little more power at lower Edge settings. PPE makes a cheaper, non-adjustable version but I prefer the adjustable Kennedy product. However, without gauges its harder to dial in...

granvil96
12-31-2008, 18:40
Off topic, but I love that '55 you have in your profile.... My favorite car of all time!

Jim
Thanks Jim I have had 6 55's they are my favorite.

Mark; I have always run in the lowest setting 20hp except (briefly at the 40hp setting-maybe 2 minutes)
Thanks for your suggestions.