PDA

View Full Version : Need engine pics

BigDiesel
01-21-2004, 23:57
I'm looking at getting a new engine cover and need to know which style my 97' takes, as my dealers parts schematic only shoes a generic picture. Thanks
Dave

chickenhunterbob
01-22-2004, 06:21
Here's a pretty good shot of a '97 off ebay,

hope this helps

http://www.rlbsales.com/chev934/eng.jpg

After wasting more time on ebay I also find one for sale down the street from where you are Dave (or in the same province at any rate). I don't know what a dealer would charge for these, but suspect this would be a much beter price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455187302&category=46098

[ 01-22-2004, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: chickenhunterbob ]

john8662
01-22-2004, 06:41
Heck, save yourself some money and forget about the turbopower cover. It has been talked about numerous times here on TDP that taking the turbo power cover off will help the Injection pump and FSD/PMD live a little longer. I added some goodies to my engine, so the cover won't fit on mine anymore, for good reason.

Another plus with the cover removed is that changing your fuel filter will be A LOT easier, as you won't have to remove 4 bolts to get to the filter. Just my .02.

Dvldog 8793
01-22-2004, 07:35
Howdy
Well spoke! The cover retains heat and serves no real purpose. I removed the upper intake and cleaned out all the casting marked and edges (see Keneddy diesel) then I bead blasted and clear coated it. I then added a 6.5 TD sticker from the hood of an early truck. I think it looks better than the plastic cover that they came with.
Hope this helps...
L8r
Conley

BigDiesel
01-22-2004, 09:44
I found some pics of it on ebay last night. Thanks
I'm going to be running a ram air set up later this year that will take care of the heat and the cover will actually be an air guide of sorts. Plus they are a lot better looking cosmetically.
My PMD is relocated as well.
Bob- that is the one I'm going to get as I'm going to Edmonton to watch the oilers on sunday. ;)

Barry Nave
01-23-2004, 20:15
Who look,s at it any way tongue.gif
Go for the life of the Eng.
Save the good look for what we see :D
6.5 Has gotten a bad name by many yet we are a few that can keep going strong when other's DIE :D
Thanks JIM ;)

Dvldog 8793
01-24-2004, 05:52
Howdy
If you still needone let me know, I think I still have mine and you can have itfor cost of shipping. If its the type you want. Let me know and I'll get you some pics.
L8r
Conley

BigDiesel
01-24-2004, 09:50
Assuming it came off of your 99' it should be the right one, but I'll still get you to send me some pics please. And the price is right. ;)
I don't think I made myself clear on the "air guide" thing. So here goes.
I will be running an actual ram air hood with a custom built snorkle that will end at the front of the cover. Thus flowing cold air directly to the Injection pump valley. The cover will act as an air guide to keep the cool air flowing through the IP valley instead of dispersing throughout the engine bay. Cheers
Dave

MTTwister
01-24-2004, 10:08
Big Diesel - Along that same train of thought - wouldn't that be a good place to put an intercooler? the ram air would cool the 'cooler' and the plumbing would be a heck of a lot easier.

I can think 'em up faster than I can get 'em done. smile.gif

What kind of Ram -Air hood are you conemplating?

Also thought of using a ram tunnel to feed air to the Air Box - pre Filter.. on a '96 - with the box on the passenger side fender - a secondary ram scoop could be installed to feed the box. It would look REALLY DORKY, but it's conceptual right now.

Dvldog 8793
01-24-2004, 12:58
Big diesel..
Get me your email address and I'll send the pics.
In regards to the ram air top mounted intercooler, when you are not moving or going slow(town driving) it would become a interheater because of all the heat rising from the engine. The idea of cooling the pump is probably a good one because it is normally in the heat anyways and any extra cool air is better than what it gets!
L8r
Conley

[ 01-25-2004, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Dvldog 8793 ]

BigMikeO
01-24-2004, 17:37
Everyone keeps talking about these Plastic Turbo Power covers and how useless they are. I must say that I don't know about other year trucks but mine is thick Aluminum, Which would be a giant "Heat Sink" for Coooling...

BigDiesel
01-24-2004, 22:03
Conley- grizz02@shaw.ca
Thanks in advance for the offer of the cover.

MTTwister- I'm in agreement with Conley on the intercooler. As well, no ram air hood in the world is going to give the air flow required for an IC. These are the two hoods I'm considering for the tahoe.
These are the best pics I can find of each.
1) http://www.siblingrivalry.com
Click on "our past trucks" and then on Anthony Miozzi's 1997 GMC Sierra Z71 Short Bed.
2) http://www.usbodysource.com Click on customer photos from the "go to" menu button. It's the ram air II pictured on a maroon/silver shortbox stepside chev 4x4.
I am going to utilize both of the snorkle's to either feed the IP valley or plumb one to the valley and one to the airbox. I imagine the airbox gets plenty of cold air as is, so I'll probably just plumb them both to the engine cover.

Big Mike- Do you have any pics?