PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade the Yukon need a little help

Dihrdbowti
12-30-2008, 17:22
So the girlfriend crunched the front of the Yukon. Because the end of the frame was damaged the Ins co says that they have to follow the repair procedures from the manufacturer and GM says replace the frame. No frame available and it would cost more than the value yada yada yada. ARG! So what I did was total it buy it back and I will get the frame repaired. I have an appt. on the 1st to the have someone look at it and estimate the frame repair. I have a good buddy that is willing to purchase it with the damage (as long as I can get the salvage title turned into the rebuilt title) and he can do the body work.

So anyway... I am looking at a 96 Burb now. The GF wants one. Told her if we get one it's got to be diesel.. I found one and we are going to look at it tonight. I was able to get the VIN so if anyone can check it for me I would appreciate it. VIN 1GNGK26F1TJ420145.

Also is there a quick way to tell what version IP this has? I never looked on the Yukon and I don't have access to that right now..

Burning Oil
12-30-2008, 21:42
So the girlfriend crunched the front of the Yukon. Because the end of the frame was damaged the Ins co says that they have to follow the repair procedures from the manufacturer and GM says replace the frame. No frame available and it would cost more than the value yada yada yada. ARG! ..

Never heard of an ins co demanding a new frame. That would be nice if they would always demand new parts. Many times they will only pay for junk yard parts.

Yukon6.2
01-01-2009, 12:19
Hi
Where is the frame bent?
I bought a 2000 tahoe that rear ended a semi driving in a cloud of snow dust.Probly hit at about 30 mph both were travling same direction,happens a lot up here.
Anyhow it was a write off to the insurance 5613 miles on it,newest truck i'v owned.
It hit the rear bumper of the semi just above the tahoe frame,there was enough metel in the rad suport to pull the ends of the frame up about6" on the pass side,about 3 on the drivers side.I blocked the frame under the front cab mounts and used my 426 cat backhoe to push down the frame.I took my time measuring and comparing mesurments taken from a good tahoe.I bent it past where it shopuld be the placed blocks under the frame ends so it was supporting all the wieght.I left it for a week or so then installed the tires,checked mesurments.It was real close to the good tahoe.I took my time insalling the front sheetmeta,only had to shim one mount,all gaps were perefect,tried to make the truck look like new.Took it for a wheel alinment after and the drivers side was perfect,passenger side needed to be moved a bit.Sold it localy,there is 30,000 miles on it since,owner takes it off road so it dosn't have a cushy life.Last time i looked all sheetmetel gaps are still perfect.So i would try straightening one again.
That long post is mute if the frame got hit hard on the end,then you have to worry about it racking,some people refer to it as dimonding.
Happy New Year
Thomas

Dihrdbowti
01-02-2009, 09:49
It did hit the end of the frame pretty hard. Grabbed the tow hook and ripped it down. there is a slight buckle where the steering box mounts and that is the main concern. It was on the alignment rack and is actually still within specs but could use an adjusted they said. took it out on the hwy and ran it up to 80 with no shaking or pulling. I have it in the shop now and the guy will be tearing in to it on Monday. He saw the buckle right away when he did the quick crawl under it and said it is destined for the rack. I'll know more Monday afternoon. This is the 2nd shop and both have said the same thing.

We were going to sell this to a friend of ours and he still wants it. They have a very small boy and so I told him that I will get the frame fixed first. I need to know that is is still safe before I sell it. Guess I wouldn't make a good used car dealer. :)