PDA

View Full Version : What to check - may buy '05 that's for sale

Edahall
01-03-2009, 14:56
I've had good luck with the old 6.2 diesels but it might be the time to uptrade. Anyways, there is a 2005 Duramax for sale in my area that I might buy if it checks out alright. But before I buy it, I thought I would find out from you guys what I should look out for before buying. I'm mainly interested in specific issues regarding these trucks such as injectors, injector pump, etc. The truck is extended cab short box, has leather seating, 4x4, Allison automatic and has 110k miles on it. The owner says it has a Hypertech chip on it to compensate for the larger tires. The owner wants $15k for it.

Mark Rinker
01-03-2009, 15:37
Well, this will get me in trouble with a few on here...but personally, I'd either buy a 2002-2004 LB7 truck, or a 2006-2007 LBZ.

The 2005 LLY was a transition year model, and had some issues in the cooling department. Some people experienced it, others didn't. If nothing else, a year newer gets you +60HP additional from the factory with no chip, an improved cooling system, and significant air intake updates - all OEM peices.

Also, I would be leary of any truck that is already chipped, out of warranty, and has oversized tires. Why buy it when you could buy a bone stock truck that was never chipped? The use on a diesel is as important as the mileage, if not MORE so...

For example, I just bought truck #3 in my profile for $21K. An LBZ, a year newer, still under warranty, half the miles on your truck, never chipped...a better deal overall? I think so...KEEP LOOKING THERE ARE GREAT BUYS OUT THERE!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-2500-HD-DURAMAX-DIESEL-2003-LOW-MILEAGE-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90969QQihZ009QQit emZ190277200309QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The advantage to finding an early 2004 LB7 truck with lower miles is you have injector warranty left to 7 years (from in-service date) or 200K miles...that could save you a whopping $3500 repair bill in your first two years of ownership...

( For you 2005 owners that I just pissed off..flame away...I can take it...:D )

Edahall
01-03-2009, 17:24
Well, this will get me in trouble with a few on here...but personally, I'd either buy a 2002-2004 LB7 truck, or a 2006-2007 LBZ.

The 2005 LLY was a transition year model, and had some issues in the cooling department. Some people experienced it, others didn't. If nothing else, a year newer gets you +60HP additional from the factory with no chip, an improved cooling system, and significant air intake updates - all OEM peices.

Also, I would be leary of any truck that is already chipped, out of warranty, and has oversized tires. Why buy it when you could buy a bone stock truck that was never chipped? The use on a diesel is as important as the mileage, if not MORE so...

For example, I just bought truck #3 in my profile for $21K. An LBZ, a year newer, still under warranty, half the miles on your truck, never chipped...a better deal overall? I think so...KEEP LOOKING THERE ARE GREAT BUYS OUT THERE!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-2500-HD-DURAMAX-DIESEL-2003-LOW-MILEAGE-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90969QQihZ009QQit emZ190277200309QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The advantage to finding an early 2004 LB7 truck with lower miles is you have injector warranty left to 7 years (from in-service date) or 200K miles...that could save you a whopping $3500 repair bill in your first two years of ownership...

( For you 2005 owners that I just pissed off..flame away...I can take it...:D )

Is there a way to test injector health on these engines?

What is the average life span on a set of injectors?

Can injector life be extended by installing a small micron Racor filter?

The eBay link you sent has a manual which I would prefer but I won't buy one without 4x4. I also want as short a truck as possible.

The owner who is selling the '05 also has an '03 so I'll look at that one as well.

These trucks seem to be selling for a lot less price than several years ago. Many of these trucks are from failed construction businesses in my area in CA.

Mark Rinker
01-03-2009, 20:01
Is there a way to test injector health on these engines?

What is the average life span on a set of injectors?

Can injector life be extended by installing a small micron Racor filter?

The eBay link you sent has a manual which I would prefer but I won't buy one without 4x4. I also want as short a truck as possible.

The owner who is selling the '05 also has an '03 so I'll look at that one as well.

These trucks seem to be selling for a lot less price than several years ago. Many of these trucks are from failed construction businesses in my area in CA.

You can't test injector health, but you can measure fuel return balance rates with a Tech II.
Hard to come up with an 'average' injector lifespan - they eventually fail. A used truck with a brand new set is nice!
It would appear that injector lifespan can be extended through extra filtration. Today a posting came in from a guy with 55K on his truck, extra filtration, and signs of injector failure. Go figure...
Yep, I own three Duramaxes and owe lots more on them than they are worth at present. I hope to be in business long enough to get my money back out of them.

Edahall
01-05-2009, 12:02
I took a look at the truck today and test drove it. Overall, it was a fairly clean truck with no evidence of any heavy towing. There was no fifth wheel hitch sliders under the rubber that was there to protect the bed. It had slightly oversize tires on it (265/75/16). None of the injectors had ever been replaced. It idled well and I did not notice any white smoke while accelerating. My overall impression was that it was a well cared for. I may offer a lower price due to the mileage on it.

hapaschold
01-05-2009, 17:12
for what ever it s worth price wise.

in june of 2008 i was offered 20,500 bucks trade in for my 2006 crewcab longbox 4x4 dmax slt loaded up .......with only 25k on odo at the time.....

needless to say i m still driving the 06......

the lbz is a nice package all around.......had a 2002 dmax set up also..

Edahall
01-06-2009, 11:26
for what ever it s worth price wise.

in june of 2008 i was offered 20,500 bucks trade in for my 2006 crewcab longbox 4x4 dmax slt loaded up .......with only 25k on odo at the time.....

needless to say i m still driving the 06......

the lbz is a nice package all around.......had a 2002 dmax set up also..

Yup, I went into KBB and looked at the trade in value for your truck and it was $21k if in excellent condition so they were not far off. You might as well keep it.

I'm going to offer $13k for this truck and see what happens. I can buy a brand new truck like what I'm looking at from Dave Smith for $30k.
http://specials.usautosales.com/details.php?id=26462&cat=trucks&listtype=html

Mark Rinker
01-06-2009, 14:04
Good luck thats a good price for the truck, as described.