PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump Leak?

scruffydogtoo
09-05-2005, 04:54
I started out asking about fuel leaks and FSD installation. Have read everything that has been suggested and replaced the Fuel Filter Assy, fuel lines and FSD. When replacing the fuel lines I found fuel sitting in the engine valley under the IP. I do know that the Fuel Filter assy was leaking at its base. (heater wires) Before I reinstall the Intake manifold I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the Injection pumps having leaks from the bottom of the case. All of the fuel line connections are tight and dry, however, on the left (driver) side near the bottom of the pump there is a black cover with two screws that shows evidence of oil or fuel. Without rotating the pump I cannot get at it. Would rather not have to time pump but if neccy will do. Any comments.

94 K2500 4x4 SB Ext Cab stock 132000miles

GMC Hauler
09-05-2005, 05:06
That little black box on the side of the injection pump is called the Pump Mounted Driver(PMD). It is a electronic box that provides the high power necessary to open the solenoid responsible for sending fuel to each cylinder. That box has no fuel in it or going to it. The surface underneath is also solid, so if you had a leak there, it would be the first.

One thing that I would advise checking is the little curved rubber hose in front of the injection pump. I had a leak I couldn't find once. The hose appeared to be fine on the outside, but once I removed it, I found cracks on the inside of the hose. At that point, I learned to look at the inside of rubber hoses.

Make sure it's not the little silver can on top of the pump. Those have been known to leak

scruffydogtoo
09-05-2005, 05:15
Not the PMD, I replaced that (FSD) the cover I am speaking to is below the PMD. Have replaced all rubber hoses that reside in the valley of the engine. All connections to the IP are dry and tight.

Thanks