PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter (Water in Fuel Sensor)

crafty
01-06-2009, 10:25
Question!

I changed my fuel filter last week and when I got the filter off the one wire on the water in fuel sensor was broken off right at the plastic. The other wire broke almost as soon as I touched it. I suspect that they were brittle due to old age (8 yrs old) but it cost me $81 (dealer cost) for a new one.
My question is, could I have put the old sensor back on with no wires and have everything run okay except that I wouldn't have had a working sensor? I didn't know and I didn't want to go through the hassle of draining fuel to replace it if it did cause trouble. I have never had the water in fuel warning at all so I didn't figure I would miss it if it wasn't there.

Just thought I'd ask this in case it happens to me again in the future.

Thanks,

Mark Rinker
01-06-2009, 11:08
We have encountered the same problem. Luckily, when the wires break, it doesn't illuminate the indicator!

We change our filters frequently enough that I am not concerned without the water warning...and have had many freeze up due to water trapped in the filter media, without illuminating the indicator lamp.

It would take ALOT of water to float the switch and illuminate the lamp. So much, in fact, that it is a rarity to hear of this indicator coming on, here on the forum.

All the best...

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2009, 00:08
If you can live w/o the warning, no sweat. The switch is N/O (closes to signal, no logic or variables). I've been sans-WIF for over 50K. The wires are repairable, but I just haven't got around to it. I monitor and treat my fuel, and I have a Mega filter, so not too worried. I think, with the current grade of filtration (OEM and aftermarket), the filter would plug before the sensor actually floated and complained about it.

jsmiracle
03-15-2009, 17:25
Thanks to all who make TDP a great place to seek information on a whole host of issues. I had the same experience as "crafty" yesterday. I did a quick search on TDP and found this thread. It saved me much time(trying to solder and restore the wire connection) and money (a new WIF sensor). I guess the money savings can justify my next several years of TDP membership;).

I was fearful that a broken WIF sensor wire would send my truck into limp mode or some other unwanted conditiion. After reading this thread, I reinstalled the fuel filter leaving the WIF disconnected.....no problems.

BTW, I have not had any indication of water in my fuel to date.

Thanks again,
Jim M.