PDA

View Full Version : 98 Chev won't start -20

REMF
01-06-2009, 10:46
98 chev, 6.5 wont start at -20. Truck is plugged in both batteries have blankets and are warn to the touch. New glow plugs installed this summer.

Truck turns over a bit slow but will not fire. I always let the plugs cycle a few times before I try to start her.

Any thought's on a solution other than moving out of Alaska to a warmer climate :).

JohnC
01-06-2009, 11:02
Are you sure the block heater works? How warm is it? How long did you leave it plugged in? At -20 you'll need 3-4 hours for a good start.

Lastly, is the fuel gelled?

REMF
01-06-2009, 11:11
Are you sure the block heater works? How warm is it? How long did you leave it plugged in? At -20 you'll need 3-4 hours for a good start.

Lastly, is the fuel gelled?

She is plugged in all night, I will check the block heater, fuel has the proper amount of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boostin it.

twaddle
01-07-2009, 08:53
Hi REMF,
If the block heater tests out OK I would also recommend disconnect the batteries and check them individually with a battery load tester. Be careful of some of the cheaper testers as they do not always give a true reading. Check the battery acid levels if they are not the sealed type.
Also double check that all battery cables and connections are in good condition and connections tight.
How old are the batteries?
Is the PMD/FSD a stanadyne/GM unit or one of the Remarq (I think that's what they were called) units. I have of one of these units and as other people found in some cases they would not operate properly in low temperatures (sometimes not so low temperatures)

Good luck

Jim
Formerly from Biggar, Scotland
Now living in Northern Alberta (-31 and snowing this morning)

REMF
01-08-2009, 10:00
Just wanted to say thank you to JohnC, and twaddle for the ideas and suggestions.

I was tinkering with the block heater yesterday and no spark when I would plug it in, low and behold the cord was bad.

Cord fixed, she was plugged in last night and fired right up this AM.

Even though the temp shot up to a balmy -18. :)