PDA

View Full Version : Diesel swap questions???

Brex480
01-06-2009, 11:42
Ok first off I am new to diesels I am a tech at a dealer and know how they work but don't really know much past the basics. My plans are to build a jeep (not set on year or model yet) in the next year or so and I want it to be diesel so I can one up my brother and his jeep.

So now to what I need to know I can get a 6.0 TD out of a 07 f250 for just about free it has some fire damage but other then that is in good shape with low miles. I'm not worried about getting it into the jeep as I have done a lot of fab work in the past but what I'm not sure about is how to get it to run. I'm not afraid of some wiring so is it as simple as just wiring up the ecu or is there more to it

Thanks for your help

More Power
01-06-2009, 14:32
Welcome to the board!

Conversions involving the newer electronic diesels require specialized knowledge of the systems in use. I'd recommend visiting a Ford site that may have more insight into the Ford electronics. Try http://www.thedieselstop.com/

Good luck,

Jim

Brex480
01-07-2009, 18:27
yeah i noticed this wasnt a ford site and thanks for the other site. i ended up finding a video on youtube of a 6.0 TD jeep. i sent that guy a message and he said all he did was use all the oem harnesses pcm and column and worked fine for him. but im afraid all my time researching the 6.0 might be for nothing because i think i missed out on the motor

Yukon6.2
01-10-2009, 11:08
Hi
Count your blessings on missing the 6.0L ford.They are a very problematic engine.When they first came out i heard that they had 4 times as many tecnical bullitans as the worst ford product.
They may have worked out some of the issuses but most shops refuse to work on them sending them to thr dealer,= big $$$$$.
I think you can find a much better engine,even if you are a ford guy.
Thomas

Brex480
01-12-2009, 12:35
yeah i know they are troublesome but still would of been fun to play with because i could of got it for less then $100. but to late now i still do want to build this project and i want to use a newer diesel. after looking around on this site i saw the duramax conversion guide which looks like it would be a lot of help. so i think im going to pick that up. anyone have any tips where to find a donor truck or motors and trans for a good price...im in phoenix Az