PDA

View Full Version : opinions on buying a 6.5 suburban

70ssclone
01-06-2009, 18:40
my father is the second owner of his 96 suburban it has never towed anything religiously just a small landscaping trailer once or twice when it was new. my dad just put a new injection pump and injectors and glow plugs in it and put the heat sync underneath the front bumper my question is that he said if i was interested he would sell it to me its either got 3.73s or 3.42s in the rear i plan on it being a daily driver and maybe once a moth towing my wrangler to the off road park do you guys think it would be ok to buy this its got 190,000 on the odo

Mark Rinker
01-06-2009, 19:51
Sure - the 6.5L Suburbans are very sought after, and you know the entire service history. Why not? Besides, if it shucks a crankshaft after 3 months, you can hit good old dad up for a partial refund...you're bulletproof, Superman!

Burning Oil
01-06-2009, 21:03
By chance do you own a Chevelle? What part of the country you in?
Suburbans are very cool. Well diesel Suburbans anyway:cool:

rapidoxidationman
01-06-2009, 21:12
How much?
New injectors, pump, glows, remote mounted FSD...

Hell you've got pretty much all the engine issues sorted right there! Might change the harmonic balancer if it's never been done. How are the brakes? What's the tranny fluid look like (I'm assuming it's an automatic). U-joints/ball joints tight? Body rot? 1/2 or 3/4 ton? (might make a difference in how well it can handle towing...)

70ssclone
01-07-2009, 03:40
he wants like 4500 and yes i own a 70 chevelle i am from maryland , also whats wrong with the crankshafts?

Robyn
01-07-2009, 08:06
Sounds like a Marvelous deal to me.

190K is no biggy.
These engines did see some cranks break. I would not sweat it though after that many miles it should be ready for eternity.

Our 94 had 230K when we bought it and lost a head gasket at 237K
Did an overhaul and basically the engine was in good shape.

Same block pistons rods and crank with just fresh heads, injectors,rings and bearings. 267K now and it runs as new.

Gotta love them Burbs.

Good luck

Robyn

JTodd
01-08-2009, 17:29
Especially since you know the history. My 96 Sub is the best. I will haul the whole family (five of us) the dog and all the camping gear for a weekend, and if I am easy on it get 19 mpg getting there. That is with 3.73 gears and 4 wheel drive.