PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 problems

cragle21
01-09-2009, 16:39
hey i was considering buying a '99 chevy silverado 2500 with a 6.5 td. it has only 134k on it and the motor was already rebuit. i didnt yet get a chance to ask him why it was rebuilt. but my quesion is is there any well known problems with these motors. also how good are these for towing. and should i buy this or spend a couple extra grand to get a 6.6 duramax?:confused:
thank you.

3116biff
01-09-2009, 20:42
Hey. Welcome to the site. Look at the top of the page and click on search. I would suggest using that. I am not saying that to be a jerk, but it will be most usefull. There is a ton of info on this site. How much is the truck if you don't mind me askin, which I am sure others will want to know and they will let you know if the price is right.

rapidoxidationman
01-10-2009, 10:25
The pump mounted driver (fuel solenoid driver) tends to be the Achilles heel of this motor. A remote mounted Kennedy Cooler is the way to fix it.

Doing a search will give you more than you needed to know on the subject.

arveetek
01-10-2009, 10:29
If your plan for the truck is towing, then I would say stay away from the 6.5L and go with a 6.6L Duramax. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE 6.2L/6.5L fan, but in stock form, they are not designed for towing. Back in the '80's and '90's, the 6.2L/6.5L was a pretty good competitor, but you can't compare them to the Duramax, Powerstroke, or Cummins for towing.

Now, I'm not saying that the 6.5L can't be made into a great tow vehicle, but you won't be able to hop in, turn the key, and start towing. At least not for very long. If you want a good, all-around daily driver and short term tow-rig, then the 6.5L fits that niche perfectly.

Casey

Yukon6.2
01-10-2009, 10:53
Hi
If you do go the Dmax and you don't have warenty,start a injector replacement fund.Unless you have a fair amount of mechanical ability this is a job that can cost big bucks.Its like the achilles heal of the Dmax.Dosn't seem to make much difference as to how the truck is used,or looked after,sooner or later you will have to get the injectors done.I'v heard prices up here and that single job can set you back as much as buying a rebuilt motor for a 6.5.At least you don't have to remove the cab to do the injectors,the new fords cab removal is requiered to do an injector job.
Good Luck
Thomas

cragle21
01-11-2009, 14:03
Hey. Welcome to the site. Look at the top of the page and click on search. I would suggest using that. I am not saying that to be a jerk, but it will be most usefull. There is a ton of info on this site. How much is the truck if you don't mind me askin, which I am sure others will want to know and they will let you know if the price is right.

they are asking $7000 for the truck. and the body has zero rust, no digs nothing, and the interior is great.

and thank you guys for all of your help

cragle21
01-12-2009, 11:21
one other question i have, is what kind of gas milege can i expect with these motors?

DennisG01
01-12-2009, 12:20
How much weight are you looking to pull? If you plan on staying relatively stock with the 6.5 and keep the trailer weight under 8,000lbs the 6.5 will do just fine. But yes, a DMax is a different beast altogether. As is any of the newer diesels.

As mentioned above, the PMD (FSD) is probably the main problem, but there are fixes for it. There are ways to improve the power that aren't too expensive, either (namely, exhaust.)

As it does with anything, there are a number of factors that come into play for MPG. Condition of engine/tranny, rear axle, your right foot, etc. However, on average you could expect 14 - 16 city and about 17 - 22 highway. I'm basing these numbers on personal experience and what I have seen posted on this forum over the years.

cragle21
01-12-2009, 13:12
well all im gonna be towing is snowmobiles. roughly 6500lbs. and i have a gas truck and it just has no balls. and runs through gas like nothing, and im afraid of tearing the trannny out from under it lol. so im looking for power and smoothness. i also planned for and exhaust cause i like stuff to be loud, and a chip for better towing capabilities

DennisG01
01-12-2009, 16:53
Add some gauges and you'll be all set. EGT is #1 - then either tranny, boost or both.

With my stock (21:1) engine, I towed the boat that I had at the time along with wife, child, yellow lab, and two friends on a vacation. We had bags and coolers galore - in the boat, in the truck and on top of the truck. Also had (4) mountain bikes on top. That boat weighed in at 6,000lbs on a scale WITHOUT all the extra junk. Plus, boats are EXTREMELY UN-aerodynamic - especially the back end. I have no idea what my gross was - but I still managed just over 13mpg! That ain't too shabby!!!

cragle21
01-12-2009, 18:35
no thats not bad at all. i planned on putting gauges in. i just got back from looking at it. it is about 19 degrees F, and it fired right up no problem, with no hessitation, and runs smooth. lil squeak out of the ac pump, but other than that very impressed, im gonna go back later in the week to test drive and take it for a tow and see how it feels.