PDA

View Full Version : GM Aluminum Wheels

JohnnyR
01-10-2009, 15:48
Have a 2005 GMD 2500HD. Clearcoat has begun to peel on two of the GM aluminum wheels/rims, one spot on each wheel about 1 inch long. I've had 3 GMC's with the same wheels and never experiienced this problem until now. What causes it? Vehicle and wheels have never been subjected to high pressure wash and no mud either. Can I repair spots in lieu of whole wheel?

Quack_Addict
01-11-2009, 22:10
I think the clear coat the wheel suppliers use is at least partially to blame. The suppliers are under pressure from GM to keep costs low; they use a coating that is enough to pass the accelerated validation tests GM requires for the product and as long as the coating keeps corrosion from becoming objectionable before the warranty expires, the supplier walks away, essentially clean. Another possibility is aggressive tire/wheel cleaners that can cause the clear coat to deteriorate... also the calcium chloride a lot of areas lay down on dirt roads in summer to keep dust down.

What happens is you get a small crack in the coating (could be a stone chip, etc), the aluminum underneath starts to react with the environment (salt really accelerates this if they use it in your area), the corrosion undermines the clear coat... it's a vicious cycle. All 4 wheels on my 2002 HD had corrosion on them when I sold the truck in 2006.

You might be able to get your dealer to warranty your wheels per bulletin 00-03-10-002D (issued Aug 1, 2006). According to the bulletin, the dealer can warranty the wheels "one time" for "pitting or spotting as a result of road chemicals". Your dealer should be able to give you a copy of the bulletin - it states right in the bulletin that the bulletin itself can be provided to the customer. GM issued a brief "PI" in December `07 that basically tells the dealer reject warranty and tell you (the customer) to wash your vehicle after driving on 'dust coated' roads to prevent the issues you describe but you may be able to leverage the bulletin I listed, as well as the vintage of your truck, to get some satisfaction if your wheels are that bad.

DennisG01
01-12-2009, 09:10
If the above solution doesn't work, yes they can be re-cleared. You can do it yourself or find an autobody shop or wheel-repair shop in your area. About 7 years ago I had an aluminum wheel repaired (curb damage) and re-cleared for about $50.

spongebob
01-12-2009, 18:28
take those wheels to a doOd that polishes wheels, he'll stick them on a lathe and remove the clear coat..its what i did to my stock aluminum wheels on my s-10..if i want them bright, i polish them once a year..

SuperPRO56
01-12-2009, 19:11
If it were me, and I had to take the wheels off anyways, I would get them anodized. Candy anodizing to match truck, or a black anodizing would like decent I think. And since its bonded to the metal like powdercoating, its extremely durable.

DennisG01
01-13-2009, 08:30
If they're just little spots, like you said, you might as well try it yourself, first. You got nothing to lose - even if you make a little mistake, it's no biggie for a repair shop.

Just take some 2,500 grit wet/dry and use some water to lubricate. Tear the sandpaper into small pieces and lightly sand the area - making sure to "feather" the edges. Be sure to sand off any of the remaining clearcoat that may be loose. Get a rattle can of clear coat, mask the area off (a few inches larger than the sanded area) and spray lightly - almost a mist. Spray a few coats. Buff it out. You're done!

Like I said, if you mess up - no problem. The repair facility was going to sand, anyway.

But as mentioned above, you have other options that can give your truck a whole new look, too. Just depends on $$$. :)

SuperPRO56
01-13-2009, 09:19
I have seen some very nice spray bomb clear coats. Hardly tell a difference between that and a shop job, when its done right.

JohnC
01-13-2009, 09:46
Be careful what you use to sand aluminum. Some abrasives can actually cause corrosion. Aluminum oxide paper is safe. Steel wool is not.