PDA

View Full Version : What Transfer Case do I have????

joearizona
01-11-2009, 10:13
The Transfer case on my 2003 Chevy w/ Duramax/Allison is making a load griding & pooping sound how do I find out the model so I can order a Rebuilt one, & were is the best place to get it or should I send it out to be rebult??? HELP
I have 186000 miles on her. I checked the transfer case & she was dry, after I filled her back up w/Dextron III I took her for a ride & she leaks fronm the rear & front of the TC.
I live Close to Chandler Az.
After checking closer I found I have a Model NP1 & the tag said 263XHDGN
are these readily avalible? & should I try to tackle it myself?

DmaxMaverick
01-11-2009, 13:03
It's an NVG263, electric push button shift (NOT the electronic auto 4x4 Autotrac TC, like in the 1500/2500/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans).

Have a look at THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=19716). From the sound of it, you've trashed the TC. Not your fault, it's likely the inherent fault of the TC design. If you get a reman, be sure to install the pump housing update to prevent the same issue in the future. The details are in the above linked thread.

joearizona
01-11-2009, 14:04
Thank DMAX for the reply, I'm going to look for someplace to get a remanufactured TC, & i'll talk to a freind about doing the install. If it's to much I'll just tackel it myself. I have a big lift at our shop but there is always one of the owners offroad racing trucks on it. If they'll take it off for a few days when I get the TC I'll do the job myself.
Every place that sells Reman. TC's under 263XHD it tell you to call for priceing. Thats just my luck.

Mark Rinker
01-11-2009, 15:45
My reman for 2002 that we ran dry was $1500, with the update.

I have seen some good deals on transmission/transfer case combos from wrecks. You might be able to buy a combo, use the transfer case, and resell the transmission for only $500 less...

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZallisonQ20transferQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40Q Q_mdoZ

DmaxMaverick
01-11-2009, 17:30
Transfer case swaps are very simple, and doesn't take much time. They're just heavy, and getting them aligned/bolted in place is the chore. Not nearly as much work as a tranny. I've done a bunch of them w/o a lift or a jack (laying on my back, on the ground). One extra pair of hands makes it an easy job, with or without a lift or jack. They are very easy to rebuild, as well. Takes me about 4 hours to R/R/R, and I'm slow.

joearizona
01-13-2009, 19:09
I started looking for some used & rebuilt TC's & everyone wanted 800 to 950 for a used TC. I contacted Transfer Case Express in Ca. & there Reman. is 1150.00 But the tech Called me back & said the have an allternitive that is a little heavyer BUT I would have to modifie the Mount & the Drive Shafts . Becouse I have the facilities to do all the work I think I mite go with the convertion. We Deal with a Drive shaft company in Mesa Az.
Thay are a sponsor for two of our off road trucks & they will come down to Modifie the drive shafts, & I can modifie the mounts in our shop. So i'm going to get the one race truck off the lift this week end & pull the TC out of My truck. If I can I will take Pic's of the Convertion Just incase any one would be interested.
Thanks for every ones help, I don't talk on the forum often But I do read alot of what is going on.

Joearizona
Hidden valley, Maricopa Az.

DieselDavy
01-14-2009, 11:16
I'm with DmaxMaverick, it's a pretty easy task. On one of my truck, due to issues not related to the TC, I had removed/reinstalled the TC enough times to get it down to 45 min. to remove. This was by myself, no lift.
Can you expand on the 'Alternative' you're getting?
Dave

joearizona
01-14-2009, 16:16
Dave
from what they told me it is not a magnizium body But cast. & instead of the drive shafts going into the TC there are flanges on the ends so the drive shafts have to go to the drive shaft shop to be modified. All the sensers are the same & plug in the same places & the shift motor that we now have is used in the new TC. I should be ordering it on this Friday or next monday. When it comes in I will take Pic's of the units side by side & of the install, If all works out well I will let everyone know. they also told me the mount has to be modified but that should be no problem.
I'm hoppeing to load the truck up this Sat. & bring her up to our shop to take the old TC out & while I have it up on the lift I'll change the trans fluid & check the rest of the truck out. then as soon as I get the new TC in I will put it in the truck.

joearizona
02-03-2009, 16:13
I recived my Conversion TC from Transfer Case Exspress. Over the week end I put the truck up on the lift & removed the 263XHD from the truck.
The Install takes time & yo'll need a trans jack for the TC & a jack to hold up your trans after you remove your trans cross member. I have some Pictures I will be putting on line for all to see. we started about 9:00am on Sat. & finished up about 3:00PM. The new TC is a 273XHD that is bigger And HEAVEYER. there is an adapter that goes on the New TC and you need to use 3/8" bolts to attach the trans to the TC. The old shift motor fits in place but you need to get 2 10mmX 35mm bolts to atach the motor to the TC as the old bolts are a differant size.I started up the motor today & everything shifted properly & was very smooth shifting. I ordered new drive shafts from Rye Valley Gear in Va. as they have done other drive shafts for this conversion before. I know that this conversion is not a standard remove & install so it is not something that can be done without lifting you truck up on a lift. as I said I will up load pic's of the two units together & you'll see the differance right away. I hope to be putting the drive shafts in in about 3 to 4 days as soon as I get the new drive shafts. & I will keep all up to date on the progress of the conversion.