PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne Performance Formula Jr.

elees
01-11-2009, 21:35
Hello- I have a question about fuel additives. I had a recent maintenance at a my local Chevy dealer for my '06 Duramax 6600 and they left a bottle of the Standayne Performance Formula Jr. in the truck. Not sure if it was a hint to use it, or a marketing ploy by the local Stanadyne sales folks. Anyway, how beneficial is it using this stuff? I see on their website that it improves lubricity, keeps fuel fresher etc. Will it improve mileage?

I guess I don't want to start spending money on stuff that I will not benefit from its use.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Ed

More Power
01-12-2009, 10:46
From an article The Diesel Page produced a couple of years ago:

ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel): As mandated by the EPA, all on-road diesel fuel must contain no more than 15 parts per million sulfur - down from 500 ppm for pre 10/06 diesel fuel sulfur levels. The process of removing sulfur produces a side-effect of lowering the fuel's lubricity. To compensate, the refineries are required to treat the fuel to maintain prior diesel fuel lubricity levels.

Low-Ash Motor Oil: The 2007 emissions certified diesels also require the use of low-ash API certified CJ-4 motor oil. It's perfectly normal for a small amount of motor oil to be burned as a consequence of internal combustion. To help prevent plugging the new exhaust catalyst and particulate filter, low-ash oil leaves fewer solids behind as it burns. This is critical for the 2007 certified diesel emissions systems. Luckily, Shell and other mainstream motor oil manufacturers have stepped up to the plate, and offer what we'll need. The good news here is that the new low-ash oil is superior in every way to what we've been using in our 2006 or earlier GM diesel engines.

Fuel Treatment: Any fuel treatment used in the 2007 vehicles must also meet the low-ash requirements, which rules out using motor oils, ATF or 2-cycle oils as a fuel treatment. The fuel treatment brands Stanadyne and Power Service meet the requirements for the 2007 emissions systems. Other brands may also, but I haven't heard from them yet. If you buy a 2007 model year diesel and want to use a fuel treatment not mentioned here, find out whether it meets the new EPA & emissions system specs before using it.

To be safe, I recommend adding a nationally available (and 2007 compatible) fuel treatment that advertises additional fuel lubricity - at least till the fuel industry has demonstrated its ability to meet the lubricity standards. This recommendation applies to all diesel owners, whether you're driving a 20 year old 6.2L diesel truck or buy a 2007 GMT-900 new body style truck due out in late January 2007. The only exception to this fuel treatment recommendation would be for those who are running at least 2% bio-diesel (B2). Bio is naturally low in sulfur and which offers additional fuel lubricity.

ULSD impact on 1982-2006 fuel injection systems: The new fuel contains approximately 1% less energy density, which means fuel economy could decline very slightly. Fuel lubricity is the biggest concern for all makes of diesel fuel injection equipment, which includes those used in all GM, Ford or Dodge diesel powered vehicles. As mentioned earlier, the refineries are required to treat the new fuel to return lubricity and corrosion protection to former levels. When the first big reduction in sulfur occurred in 1993, many 6.2/6.5 fuel injection pumps suffered from seal/gasket leaks and accelerated wear. At that time, the seal/gasket compositions were upgraded to Viton or other compounds unaffected by a reduction in sulfur levels and the various wear components were hardened or have been upgraded to ceramic, which should not be affected by the upcoming 2007 ULSD fuel - assuming the lubricity requirements are met.

Fleet diesel operators have, time and again, reported a fuel economy increase when using a fuel treatment that included a cetane improver. Individuals have a harder time identifying a fuel economy improvement because of the much lower volume of fuel used and an increase in the variability of driving conditions over time.

The following links contain some excellent info concerning the ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel).

www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/index.htm Heavy-Duty Highway Diesel Program - EPA document.

www.dieselforum.org/policy-insider/cleaner-fuels-cleaner-engines/clean-fuel-ultra-low-sulfur-diesel/ What is Clean Diesel Fuel? - DieselForum.org document.

www.clean-diesel.org/faqs.html ULSD FAQ - Clean-Diesel.org Frequently Asked Questions.

Jim

elees
01-19-2009, 17:25
Jim- thanks for the informative reply. I used the Stanadyne product and got through half a tank of fuel and my check engine light came on. Could it just be coincidence? I checked my fuel cap for tightness and it is OK. I guess I am headed to the dealer for a checkover.

Ed

More Power
01-20-2009, 01:11
Since that piece was written a couple of years ago, we've had time to hear from lots of diesel owners. There hasn't been any significant increase in fuel injection system wear issues reported since that time. So, the petroleum producers appear to be meeting the lubricity requirements.

I use a fuel treatment that includes a cetane improver. I suspect it increases fuel economy just enough to pay for the price of treatment - and it provides a little insurance.... :)

Jim

elees
01-20-2009, 22:17
Jim, thanks. I took my truck into the dealer about the Check Engine Light. It evidently the EGR valve. They cleaned it and re-flashed the settings/control and that was it.
A friend uses Power Servcie Additives with Cetane and he likes the perfromance it has given him.

Ed