PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn off the side mirrors?

rapidoxidationman
01-14-2009, 08:52
I like the angle I have my mirrors adjusted to.
I don't like the way Chevy moves them when I shift into reverse. They go to a bad angle and I'm not thrilled about the extra load on those (expensive) motors.

How can I disable this "feature"? Seems like there ought to be an easy way which isn't permanent yet retains the ability to move the mirrors using the door mounted controls.

ROM

DennisG01
01-14-2009, 09:14
In other cars that I own, it usually depends on where the "left/right" mirror control switch is. Not sure on yours, but maybe - it's easy enough to check.

mattb5150
01-14-2009, 13:47
On my wife's 2005 suburban with steering wheel controls you go into a menu by pushing one of the right hand buttons, the one that looks as if it has a page on it. Scroll thru the pages and you will get to one that allows you to disable the mirror from moving when shifting into reverse, may say something like curbview or such.

Matt

rapidoxidationman
01-14-2009, 18:44
On my wife's 2005 suburban with steering wheel controls you go into a menu by pushing one of the right hand buttons, the one that looks as if it has a page on it. Scroll thru the pages and you will get to one that allows you to disable the mirror from moving when shifting into reverse, may say something like curbview or such.

Matt

I see you've got a truck that is nearly identical to mine, except yours is a GMC shortbed... Does your truck have this "feature"?
The dealer is getting me an owner's manual (why the P.O. didn't include it when he traded it in is beyond me) so that may answer my question in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I'm scratching my head. I'll look for the curbview you mentioned above..
Thanks!

ROM

rapidoxidationman
01-15-2009, 13:04

Matt

You nailed it.

Thanks!

BTW, the dealer says my owner's manual is being mailed to me today... May this be the end to my n00b questions.

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2009, 15:17
....... May this be the end to my n00b questions.

Not if you are only getting the owner's manual. Most often, it makes for more questions than answers. That's why we're here....

rapidoxidationman
01-15-2009, 17:38
There'll also be a Helms manual in the not-too-distant future. I'm also thinking of signing up for the AllData website; I did this on my VW Tdi and found the Bently manual (similar to Helms, but for the VW) to be a near exact copy of the AllData. AD had the advantage of all the TSB's though.

Thoughts?

Web sites for the Helms manual?

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2009, 19:10
The Helm (http://www.helminc.com) manual is fine. It is essentially the same as Alldata, only in print form. You won't need both, pick one. The Helm manual should come with current TSB's, and many times, they offer updates for a period of time. I prefer the online manual, but it's only a matter of personal preference.