PDA

View Full Version : Anti-freeze Smell in Exhaust

MacDR50
01-15-2009, 12:55
Hello I am brand new to the forums. I am taking my new (2008 with 1000 miles) 2500HD into the dealer next week. When I start the engine I get a strong anti-freeze smell coming from the exhaust but no puff of white smoke. Once the engine has run for several minutes this drops to a fainter but still discernible whiff of anti-freeze. My mileage is poor and falling. I currently get about 10.5 - 12 miles to the imperial gallon. The temperature has been -6 to 6 Celsius so I don't think this is a major factor. Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts which might help when I talk to the service manager?

madmatt
01-15-2009, 16:45
Sounds like a leaking EGR cooler.

madmatt
01-15-2009, 16:46
tell your dealer to look into this bulletin,,, PIP4135B

MacDR50
01-15-2009, 20:43
Thanks madmatt I will.

madmatt
01-16-2009, 05:26
your welcome

MacDR50
01-20-2009, 14:17
Thanks for the help. I can see this is a good place to spend some time. As a new D/A owner and a fifth wheel camper I know I will learn a lot from just reading the threads.

Well, as I expected, the dealer did all the checks and came up with nothing. I was asked to monitor the coolant level and report back any loss. They pressure tested the system at 22 psi which I though to be a bit low. I did not smell the anti-freeze today. It was a warmer day but I am not sure this should make a difference. One question, what is added to diesel as a anti-gelling additive? Could it be the source of the anti-freeze like smell?

hapaschold
01-22-2009, 03:44
Thanks for the help. I can see this is a good place to spend some time. As a new D/A owner and a fifth wheel camper I know I will learn a lot from just reading the threads.

Well, as I expected, the dealer did all the checks and came up with nothing. I was asked to monitor the coolant level and report back any loss. They pressure tested the system at 22 psi which I though to be a bit low. I did not smell the anti-freeze today. It was a warmer day but I am not sure this should make a difference. One question, what is added to diesel as a anti-gelling additive? Could it be the source of the anti-freeze like smell?

i run powerservice fuel additive, and it does change the exhaust smell a bit..i wouldnt say antifreeze smell, but more of a solvent type.

MacDR50
01-22-2009, 17:20
I buy my fuel from Irving Oil. They have a massive and modern refinery in Saint John NB and sell in Atlantic Canada and in the NE US. According to their web site, they produce a low wax fuel and add Ultra Low Sulfur Kerosene to bring the diesel up to winter standards. I may write to them regarding the "aroma" from my exhaust to see what they say. Meanwhile I have put a mark on my coolant reservoir and will be paying attention to any sign of loss.

pitstop190
01-31-2009, 19:32
On a similar note, we have been chasing a similar problem on a 6.7 cummins, the coolant pressure test shows no coolant loss but when the exhaust break comes on, the cooling system foams with tiny bubbles and pushes coolant out. A hairline crack in the egr cooler is the culprit. Even though the pressure test passes, if exhaust gases can get into the coolant, then coolant can very likely get into the egr system, then into the engine. not sure if this helps but I know that sometimes anything can help.:confused: