PDA

View Full Version : Obama's limo powered by 6.5L!!

npauli
01-15-2009, 20:13
Gotta chuckle.
Just read that GM just made Obama a Cadillac limo based on a truck platform and powered by a 6.5L diesel.

KingNuzz
01-15-2009, 20:55
Where did you read that it was a 6.5? I'm surprised they didn't use a Duramax.

DickWells
01-15-2009, 21:32
I hope his FSD gives out right in the middle of PA Ave!:D

trbankii
01-16-2009, 07:07
Here is an article that says it is a Duramax: http://gas2.org/2009/01/12/inside-cadillac-one-the-obama-mobile-will-it-run-on-biodiesel/

Apparently based on a 2500 chassis.

Mark Rinker
01-16-2009, 07:20
I think it should have spinners with the Presidential seal on them...that and a huge booming sub-woofer.

:D

DickWells
01-16-2009, 08:21
Darn, and I was hoping that he'd have to suffer through the old PMD/FSD syndrome. Well, now I can hope for the dreaded white smoke at idle, or maybe even the wrong color (early) PRNDL, or whatever it's called on the left side of the transmission. He should get at least a taste of what the Commoners have to deal with. Wonder if the SS has to burn green fuel in that thing, or are they exempt? Whatever, I'd give a handful of cash just to drive it a mile or two! :D

npauli
01-16-2009, 10:27
Here's the article I saw:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/15/presidents-new-ride-may-be-diesel-powered-but-is-it-emissions/

It says "It's been reported that the limo uses a 6.5L diesel V8..."

Stratosurfer
01-17-2009, 07:22
Here's the article I saw:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/15/presidents-new-ride-may-be-diesel-powered-but-is-it-emissions/

It says "It's been reported that the limo uses a 6.5L diesel V8..."

The military hummer is still 6.5 powered and as the article accurately states, this limo is handled and shipped around the world by our military. The 6.5 under the hood would be familiar to the motorpool mechanics around the world.

greenfire
01-24-2009, 11:37
Wow, if this is true (and it seems to be), then this a significant mark for the 6.5

DennisG01
01-24-2009, 12:56
Just my guess, but I would think it would be mechanical injection. That would enable the engine to survive an EMP hit, wouldn't it? Supposedly that's one of the things this beast can do. An electronic 6.5, and certainly a 6.6, would stop dead.

Stratosurfer
01-24-2009, 13:10
Just my guess, but I would think it would be mechanical injection. That would enable the engine to survive an EMP hit, wouldn't it? Supposedly that's one of the things this beast can do. An electronic 6.5, and certainly a 6.6, would stop dead.

That is correct, and a primary reason the U.S. (and other) military has been so happy with the 6.5 all along; it never had the electronic IP and associated PMD issues. Due to EMP I don't believe there are any electronic IP's in the various diesels in the U.S. military, EMP burst would knock the ECU out and therefore the vehicle.

TomEichenberger
01-29-2009, 19:04
It's a 6.2 gasser,..a"vette" moter.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-29-2009, 19:18
Okay,as in the LS9? Because it seemed to say that it was a diesel engine in the article. And the diesel 6.2 is not a gasser. Just curious why you would say that?

DmaxMaverick
01-29-2009, 21:21
I read "6.5 Litre Turbo Diesel". In the specs, the max speed is 60 MPH, and the 0-60 time is 15.x seconds (although they probably fudge these numbers to keep a little in reserve), gets 8 MPG, and is built on a truck chassis. Don't sound like no LS9 engine. It would move out a lot better with ~400 HP (I do a lot better than that, with trailer in tow with my Duramax). It does sound very much like the performance of a 6.5L TD. I dunno.......

I'll dig up the spec sheet and post it, if I can find it.

DmaxMaverick
01-29-2009, 21:47
Here's what I found......

Robyn
01-30-2009, 07:08
I spent some time surfing the other day and found no specific reference to the engine.
Specualtion that it was a diesel, 6.5 diesel power possibly, powered by a military diesel engine.

No real absolute specs as to what the little beast has under the lid though

Makes sense that they would use the Optimizer 6500 as it is known well by the Mechanics in any US motor pool worldwide and could be repaired at any MIL facility when the Pres is traveling.
Also the Mil 6500's can run on #2 diesel as well as the Jet fuel if need be in a pinch.

I cant really see them coming up with some off the wall combination that would be a "One Off"
Would need to be parts friendly so it can be fixed anywhere it goes.

Would not look kewl to have to have the sucker towed in cause a PMD failed. :eek:

From what I can find the real nitty gritty specs are being kept under wraps.

I had also heard speculation that it had a Big Rat under the hood.

8.1 liter. BUTTTT that monster would certainly make the thing move out much better than reported.

And then again the reported performance could be just BS.
In the Past the Big Presidential Burbs had the Big rats in them that were well worked over and would reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy haul grass.

best

RC

greenfire
01-30-2009, 10:44
Max speed only 60mph? If thats true, Im surprised. If it were necessary to get the president to saftey in a hurry 60mph isn't going to cut it. But Im sure they have it all figured out.

JohnC
01-30-2009, 11:32
"Published" top speed.

Note the propane tank under the president's seat...

DmaxMaverick
01-30-2009, 11:50
"Published" top speed.

Note the propane tank under the president's seat...

I don't know about propane. Could be fire suppression or O2. The image I posted is an "artist's rendition", so it could really be anything, or nothing at all.

DennisG01
01-30-2009, 13:09
I don't know about propane. Could be fire suppression or O2. The image I posted is an "artist's rendition", so it could really be anything, or nothing at all.

I could be wrong, but I think there might be a bit of sarcasm in John's propane remark. :rolleyes:

JohnC
01-30-2009, 14:50
I could be wrong, but I think there might be a bit of sarcasm in John's propane remark. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? Me?

Seriously, I had a friend who served on the USS Enterprise (the aircraft carrier, not the star ship). He said they had a "published" top speed too. I got the impression it was rather conservative.

So, 60 mph for Obama's limo is probably the most conservative thing we'll see for the next 3 years, 11 months and 3 weeks, not that anyone's counting...

greenfire
01-30-2009, 18:37
I bet its a nitrous tank;) Pimp your ride Yo