PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel

maverick_935
01-17-2009, 13:22
What is the 5th wheel towing capacity of a 05 gmc 3500 cc

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2009, 18:11
It can vary quite a bit, depending on the truck, options and cargo. Look at the sticker on the end of the driver door for the GVWR, and subtract the truck's actual weight, fully loaded with everything you'll be traveling with, including full fuel and the hitch. The GVWR is either 22K or 23.5K, depending on the model year (forgot when it increased) for the DRW, or 22K for a SRW.

If you don't have the truck for the numbers (shopping for a truck), you'll have to estimate. The max 5th wheel weight, according to GM, is about 16K. But, they base this number on a stripped down regular cab truck. Realistically, anything over about 14K is pushing it for a CC. In reality, a regular cab 2wd 2500HD can legally pull a heavier 5'er than a 3500 CC dually. 4x4 also decreases the capacity (due to the weight of the 4x4 components).

maverick_935
01-18-2009, 15:26
I know what the truck is rated for according to GM.
Will the truck pull my 5th wheel trailer which can go as high as 14,000lbs fully loaded?
Is this realistic?
Would this be possible with an intercooler?
I am looking at options(buy another truck)if I have to.

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2009, 18:58
The truck's ability is well beyond what is legal. 14K is no problem. An intercooler won't help you tow more, in any case. It already has one, and is fine unless you tune up a bunch more power. My 5'er is about 14K, and I haul it all over the country. Uphill, downhill, no sweat.

maverick_935
01-19-2009, 07:20
sorry, I should have clarified. Will my 98 GMC as per signature do the job once in awhile with an intercooler or do
i need the bigger truck.

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2009, 10:25
The short answer is, no. 14K is well beyond what is legal for that truck. An intercooler will only help with excessive EGT's, and help with adding a little more power. There's a LOT more to safe/effective towing than just engine power. The chassis is not designed to handle that load. Brakes and suspension stability are also factors. A lot of people do it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. If it were a 3500 dually, perhaps. But with a 2500, gotta say no. It's unlikely the rear suspension, as is, will even handle the pin weight. At any rate, there's no way the GVWR and GCWR will be close to rated capacity limits.

Choice: You can either learn from statistics, or become one.

Bottom line: You need more truck, or less trailer.