PDA

View Full Version : Remaned computer = more power

Govt issue
01-22-2004, 08:12
My 96 Sub was haveing some trouble with the computer. You could slap it and it would go dead. So I had a new one put in at the dealer. They downloaded a new program into it and it runs much stronger. A noticable difference. Get this my dad even noticed. It seemed to have more mid range, and part throttle power. Gas millage stayed about the same. I would drive down the road, pull over and switch computers just to confeirm what I was feeling. Could GM be putting the timming and fuel curves from the 99 into all of the OBD2 Trucks. When the computers are reflashed.

gmctd
01-22-2004, 18:15
If they did reflash to '99, then your next step would be to check for the dual t-stat cooling upgrade with hi output water pump, standard on '97 models.
Some late '96 had the upgrade, also.

That improved cooling was necessary for the 20hp increase in '99.

Govt issue
01-23-2004, 06:05
I only have 1 thermostat. It has never overheated, but I have never had more than 7000 behind it on flat ground. Last night I reset my injection timing. just twisted it till it gained more power. Didn;t have a scanner. It made a big difference. About the same as when the computer was reflashed. Lots of part throttle power.

Turbine Doc
01-23-2004, 08:20
GI where are you in MS I'm in Gautier, hopefully you made a mark where you were at originally, you can get more power by turning the IP but if you go too far with timing you can damage your engine.
I would not put any miles on it if you don't know where you are at I highly recommend going back to original setting until you have it checked with a scan tool.

The width of a scribe line (1 mm) .039" = 2 deg of timing change.

I don't have a T2 but do have a SNAP-ON reader that allows limited tuning. If in the area give me a holler, or any local shop you know can read timing for you with theirs.

Govt issue
01-23-2004, 12:22
I marked it before I turned it no problem to put it back. I'm in Tupelo,. How do you know when you have gone too far. Can you hear it in the engine.The notch on the pump lined up with the notch on the cover. I moved it just past the notch to the drivers side.1 notch width. Sounds great and has good power. I have a scanner, but I have a loose connection problem with my serial bus line, sometimes I have data sometimes I don't. No check engine light.