PDA

View Full Version : Turbo guage opinions

Subzilla
01-17-2009, 14:52
Greetings,
Very, very soon, I plan to begin installation of an ATS turbo on my Suburban. To compliment the new addition, I've been looking at Isspro boost guages on Kennedy's website and needed an opinion.

He shows manifold pressure guages along with the turbo guages. I assume the manifold pressure guages behave very much like the turbo boost ones???? SOOO....

Now for your opinion input. The smallest scale on the turbo guage is 0 - 30 psi but the smallest scale on one of the manifold pressure guages is 0 - 15. Assuming my ATS turbo will max out somewhere around 10 psi, I'm wondering which one to get. If I get the 30 scale, the needle will only move over a third of the scale while on the 15 scale, it will be flying way over 2/3 of the scale. I want to be able to see the needle move more for better readings on the smaller 15 psi scale but I'm wondering if that large range of back and forth needle movement will visually drive me crazy???? Any thoughts??

Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2009, 17:49
Comparing a manifold pressure gage to a boost pressure gage is like comparing a spanner to a wrench. They are, for all intents and purposes here, the same. Often times, a "manifold pressure" gage will also indicate intake vacuum (handy for monitoring air filter condition). If you never intend to exceed 15 PSI boost, get that gage. Gage resolution is easier to read with more sweep for the range. I have a 30 PSI gage that doesn't drive me crazy, and I use ALL of it (Duramax, and sometimes, I think, I can hear the needle slap the stop pin before the wastegate reacts:D). Either gage will serve your purpose, so get the gage that will better help you to read it.

DennisG01
01-18-2009, 10:21
I'll second the above. If you don't foresee going above about 13 or 14, then stick with the 0-15 gauge. It will definitely be easier to read while driving. It won't drive you crazy. The needle doesn't really bounce around as much as you might think.

Hubert
01-18-2009, 10:28
I have a 15 psi full sweep guage and run 10 psi boost. I like the resolution. With the GM 8 turbo it doesn't jump too fast or dance. Nice smooth up and down with load and fuel changes. I think thats the nature of the beast with air pressure.

My fuel guage on the otherhand dances and flickers just a bit due to fuel being non compressible I think.

Subzilla
01-19-2009, 13:30
Great advice! I'll go with the 0-15 psi version.

Thanks ya'll!

CA_CUCV
01-27-2009, 13:34
I thought I'd speak up as I have the ATS setup on my rig, a 1987 M1008 CUCV. With my foot planted the truck sees around 12-14 but I've seen it as high as 16, but only once. My boost gauge is a VDO 0-30. I do have the Isspro Pyrometer and it works good.

john8662
01-27-2009, 19:39
15psi gauge is all you need, I highly recommend the EV series Isspro gauges, and you can get one from 0-15 that says Boost Pressure on it.

Subzilla
01-27-2009, 20:30
John,
All I see in the Isspro catalog in the turbo boost version is 0-30. They have the manifold pressure at 0-15.

And I do like the EV series. Already have the pyrometer and transmission temp EV gauges installed.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-27-2009, 22:10
I have Glowshift Pyro and Boost off E-bay. I didn't buy them for the stupid color changing option, but simply because they fit my price range. The boost is up to 30, and typical turbo range is just over 15. If it does go more than that, it isn't a bother and doesn't drive me crazy. Size is 2 1/16"

john8662
01-28-2009, 09:14
John,
All I see in the Isspro catalog in the turbo boost version is 0-30. They have the manifold pressure at 0-15.

And I do like the EV series. Already have the pyrometer and transmission temp EV gauges installed.

I think I've seen an EV labeled boost, but I cannot find it, just as you've discovered. The boost gauge I've got in my '86 says Manifold Pressure, and it works fine. I just thought that they offered both, guess not.

J

DennisG01
01-29-2009, 10:18
try egauges.com :)