PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Fuel Problems

vetman
01-19-2009, 18:35
I've been on this web site for quite some time reading about all the injector problems and hoping that my turn is not coming. Well, my 7-yr warranty on my 2002 LB7 expired in December '08 and now it seems I've got problems. My first fear was injectors, but I'm not sure thats it.

The problem is that I went through 25 gallons of diesel in 70 miles...blown all over the engine, chassis, wheel wells and tailgate. While this was happening I was running at 75 mph on the interstate and the truck was running flawlessly....unless you count the fact that I almost ran out of fuel. There are no codes set, no smoke out the exhaust and the oil was down a half a quart. The engine had been bathed in diesel, despite the fact that I couldn't spot any leaks while watching it run.

Any thoughts? I could really use some help...

madmatt
01-19-2009, 19:17
Dry the dip stick completely and see how far up it's wet. I'm betting it's pretty over full and has blown the fuel/oil mixture out the vent hose all over the place due to faulty injectors. If that's the case, I'd ask your dealer (hope you have a good relationshipd with them) about goodwilling the repairs. I just goodwilled one that was 4 months out but only had 88K on the clock. How's you oil pressure?

If it's not over full, I've seen cracked fuel rails and leaking lines from the rail to the injectors.

vetman
01-20-2009, 17:58
When I checked the oil, the level was down 1/2 quart and the color of the oil fairly dark brown (it was time for a change anyway). I dried the dipstick and didn't see any evidence of a high level. Wouldn't the fuel mix with the oil and all be the same color? Or would the fuel float on top of the oil and not be immediately noticed on the dipstick? If the problem were a cracked fuel rail, would that be covered under the extended warranty? Granted it's 1-month expired, but the truck just turned over 50k miles...hardly enough to warrant this type of problem!!

Runaway_Dmax
01-20-2009, 19:59
Does the oil smell of Diesel? I'd guess you do have the injector problem. Maybe your dealer will fix you up in "good faith." I've had dealers do warranty work after I was out of warranty if it was just alittle.

On edit here and thinking out loud, but didn't the early DMax's 01s/02s have a fuel line behind the engine crack?