PDA

View Full Version : Premature Glowplug controller failure- causes?

fastboat
01-21-2009, 14:12
Hello all,
For those that remember, I did an almost complete rebuild of my 94 6.5 last spring and had several questions which many of you were all very helpful with. (Thanks again!) She's been running great for the last 7 months or so, but this week the 7 month old GP controller crapped out. I'm pretty certain this is the problem because the light stopped coming on and it would not start cold. I was jumping the terminals on the controller with needlenose pliers for a few days until I had an opportunity to put the old one back in (I can't believe I actually saved it) as my first try at troubleshooting. As soon as the old one was back in, the light started coming on with the key again and she starts fine. I am at work, so I don't have it with me to tell you the brand, but I bought it from SSdieselsupply. It was not an AC Delco part, or any other brand that I would associate with factory equipment, but it was said to be made in the US. So I guess my one question is actually two now- one being does anyone have experience with these aftermarket controllers? The second being what my original question was going to be- what, if any conditions or problems could cause premature death for a GP controller? I want to know if there is some underlying problem I should be on the lookout for. I have noticed since the engine was reinstalled the plugs will sometimes come back on for a second or two after I start the engine. I don't remember that happening before. I replaced the plugs, controller and wire connectors at the same time while the engine was out. The plugs are also SSdieselsupply "instant" version. Until the other day, I was thrilled with the performance. She had been starting better than ever before, with hardly any smoke at all. I used to always get at least the little puff of white, but not any more. Thanks for any ideas.
Dave

rustyk
01-21-2009, 19:05
The GM book says current through the controller should be ~55A, so if you have an ammeter capable of that range check it. That would be the equivalent of ~4-5 ohms with the glow plug main wire disconnected and measured from that wire terminal to ground. There's a possibility of a glow plug shorting and eventually damaging the contacts. If one has shorted, the resistance would be 0. I've never heard of one shorting, but I'm sure someone on the forum has encountered that.

Another possibilty is that the 4 or 5-pin connector could have worked loose or gotten some corrosion on it.

However, most likely (IMHO) is that the controller is defective.

fastboat
01-21-2009, 19:34
Thank you. I don't know much on the electrical side of the house and I don't have the proper meter. I did get in touch with SSdiesel today via email and he said to send it back for a new exchange. He also is going to take back the injector cores I should have sent him back 6 months ago, so that's cool.
Dave

bobt
01-21-2009, 22:13
Excessive engine heat?? I had one go bad on my '93 and it happened after I had gotten the engine excessively hot on several occasions.
Bob