PDA

View Full Version : Hose Clamps Made in China

HH
01-21-2009, 20:37
Noticed a small leak at the heater hose last week, so I tighten the hose clamp. Checked the others and tighten the upper radiator hose clamp too, so today the upper hose blows off the radiator, the clamp is not tight and will not tighten, WTF. No more Made in China hose clamps for me, should have know better. I did get 50,000 miles out of it, but why did it come loose now?

simon
01-22-2009, 22:08
don't blame the chinese, blame the US manufactory companies for farming out jobs to china.

JTodd
01-23-2009, 04:29
don't blame the chinese, blame the US manufactory companies for farming out jobs to china.

Good point. Some products are made just fine in China, but those are for companies that require the quality, and pay for it. The biggest problem is many outlets trade price for quality, or worse take the shipload of products that already failed someone else's quality inspection.

I knew a guy that bought a container of Christmas lights from China. The original customer had ordered the standard icicle type hanging lights that go around a house. When they arrived, they were a series of boxes - looked like a lit up ladder turned on its side. The were rejected by the original customer and he got them very, very cheap. He ended up selling them as an easier way to light up tree trunks or something like that.

Robyn
01-23-2009, 07:02
The companies that set up factories over there and keep tight fisted controls on the quality produce great stuff.

The stuff that is basically done without good control is usually crap.
The items that are designed and made there by Chinese companies can be ok but are usually very crude.

Owned a little China Generator once.
The thing weighed a ton and was mostly cast iron.

Reminded me of the old heavy cast iron stationary engines from the early part of last century.

I have seen the little tractors that are made there. Some are OK but others tend to have metalurgy issues and things break.

A neighbor had one and one day it stopped going ahead, :eek:

The ring and pinion had just ground up and gone away. Looked like cast iron gears.

Cummins makes the Diesel thats used in the Dodge trucks in a plant in China, at least some of them come from there.

Cat has a plant there too I am told.

They get cheap labor, minimal environmental issues to deal with and on it goes.

I have had some very good brake rotors for the Burb from China though.
The top price NAPA once warped as did the factory ones.

Bought a set of Auotzone cheap ones and they have been great. :confused:

America has anything you could want, and its made in China

Recently I needed to replace an electrical switch in the big truck as the handle broke off.

The one that was there I had purchased from NAPA back a few years and it was made in the USA

The new one of the same part # and looks similar is not nearly as HD and is made in China.

Yup less made here and more over seas.

Soon Americans will be made over seas, OOOOps almost forgot, most are now anyway and shipped in without papers. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Best

Robyn

DickWells
01-23-2009, 09:16
I put a set of Chinese made Raybestos rotors on the front of my Burb in 99 at about 90 K miles. Paid $39.95 each for them at Parts America. NAPA wanted $97 and Maynard's wanted $70. I swallowed hard and bought the PA rotors, thinking they'd maybe last a few months. Torqued my wheel lugs religiousely and they're still there and braking smooth as silk at 186K!
Must be Raybestos was riding herd on the Chinese.
I've bought plenty of junk from China, too. Usually doesn't take long to find out what you just paid for.
DW:)