PDA

View Full Version : New Mirror Advise Needed

MacDR50
01-23-2009, 13:43
I bought my specific truck because the price was too good to pass. It has everything I need except the extending mirrors. I prefer to retain the power mirror option I already have, add heated and power extension. I have looked at after market and OEM options. I honestly, am stuck as which way to proceed. One big question is: Does my truck have the wiring in the doors to support the mirrors I want. Others are: What type of new switches need to be installed on the arm rest and do they come with the new mirrors?, Is a computer change required to make the new features work?, Are there aftermarket options that address this better than trying to retrofit OEM? If you have crossed these bridges I could certainly do with some advise.

DmaxMaverick
01-23-2009, 14:26
All of the necessary wiring is present. You will need to install the armrest (if different from what you have now) and the switch cluster specific to the option you want to add. A BCM program update (dealership service) will also likely be needed. The heat option may need a different HVAC head (heat and A/C control on the dash), if you don't have rear glass heat/defog (rear glass and mirror heat are on the same switch).

MacDR50
01-27-2009, 16:50
After pricing and gauging complexity of every option and looking at how badly I need new mirrors I decided to take the frugal (cheap) route and ordered two Tow-and-See mirrors. These are attached by means of a suction cup to the existing mirrors which makes them adjustable using the existing power mirror control. As I only part time RV this should suffice until I retire and start traveling more often. By that time the after market or wreckers supply should be greater. BTW I also ordered a Valley 5th wheel extension for the trailer wiring. It has a male and female plug at one end to fit between the factory wiring at the rear bumper where the tow package plug is connected. At the other end it has a 7 pin plug C/W washers etc. to install in the bed.