PDA

View Full Version : One year gone.

Cowracer
01-23-2009, 14:41
hey guys, just letting you know I'm still alive. Going on a year now since I got rid of the trusty Big Blue Dually. Has it turned up anywhere? Anybody buy a dark blue 94 Jimmy dually with a alpine green engine?

The excursion is working out rather well. So far I left it stock (powertrain wise) and it does the job for me in stately fasion.

But for all the time that passed, I still catch myself checking for vent holes in the bumpers of oncoming 88-98 c/k trucks. I still can tell a 6.5 by the idle sound alone, and I have helped 2 people with 6.5 troubles (one a bad fuel filter, one a bad inputs shaft sensor on the tranny).

Now that its cold, what I dont miss was the starting sequence on the old 6.5. An 18:1 pistoned 6.5 is a challenge to start on sub-freezing days, especially if your too lazy to fix the glowplugs and theres no place to plug it in at work. I remember grinding on the starter till cylinders started to pop. A simple majority was all that was needed to keep a 6.5 running, but some times even that was hard to get.

Now with the Exy, it cranks and starts with no fuss at all. and no belching of clouds of smoke either. bout the only trouble I had with it was that I had to replace the alternator. Took about 9 minutes (no kidding) to change.

My next major project is that I'm building a home-brewed ac electric vehicle. I have some stuff already in hand, and I'm looking for an s-10 or ranger with a bad motor that someone wants to let go cheap. I aint making it to sell for profit or anything. I just wanna prove to myself that I can do it.

Anyway, you guys take care...

And Happy Motoring! ;)

Tim

Big Green
01-31-2009, 07:01
I know I miss you and your dually. I still catch myself looking to see if it's you driving everytime I see one motoring down the hwy.

When the weather warms a bit, I've got a 6.5 challange for you if you accept... Runs great 99.5% of the time. But turn it off for 5 min (like at the gas station) and within a 1/2 mile of getting on the hwy it will start to cut out like it's running out of fuel. Back off and just limp along for a mile or two and all is well. Happens if you put fuel in or not, so it's not an intrained air issue, pmd is under 20k, and like I said... runs great/ starts great hot or cold / etc. Also, OPS and lift pump are both new.

Later
Big Green
'95 6.5TD Kennedy chip & injectors/gear drive/cooling mods/etc

Cowracer
02-11-2009, 07:33
OK Green, we can look at it when spring breaks. I'll shoot you a PM with my email addy.

Meanwhile, instead of looking for a big blue dually, look for a jacked up, tall white excursion on 37" tires with a Harley-Davidson plate on the rear. That'd be me.

Tim

Big Green
02-11-2009, 10:19
Tim,
Actually the big green truck is back to 100%.

See my earlier post about lift pump and OPS voltage.